False widow spider in hive!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I have come across these spiders before and know that they are venomous but hardly likely to bite unless provoked! It came as something of a surprise to see one sitting in the corner of the crown board in one of my hives. I gently moved it out without killing it. I know my bee group leave spiders in the WBC hives to help with moths etc and wonder if anyone knows if these spiders are harmful to bees?
The bees were very quiet and were not bothered at all about me inspecting them - so have I done them a favour or not?

I have come across these spiders before and know that they are venomous but hardly likely to bite unless provoked! It came as something of a surprise to see one sitting in the corner of the crown board in one of my hives. I gently moved it out without killing it. I know my bee group leave spiders in the WBC hives to help with moths etc and wonder if anyone knows if these spiders are harmful to bees?
The bees were very quiet and were not bothered at all about me inspecting them - so have I done them a favour or not?

the false black widow is becoming quite common in england, I've got them in my greenhouse at home. probably too small to help much with wax moth?

A false Widow?? I thought we had no venomous spiders in the British Isles. Dont tell my wife if there are nasty ones as well as the other ones she freaks out at.

Last edited:
This is serious, they have been moving into the UK for the some time and there have been cases of serious reactions to the bite which have been in the press. My daughter had one in her conservatory and they left it alone - they don't make much of a web - a bit untidy really. Check it out on google.

This is no joke, they are not aggressive, but bite and some people can have a nasty reaction. There have been press reports about them - check it out on google!

This is serious, they have been moving into the UK for the some time and there have been cases of serious reactions to the bite which have been in the press. My daughter had one in her conservatory and they left it alone - they don't make much of a web - a bit untidy really. Check it out on google.

Talk about scaremongering!:banghead:

I thought all spiders were venomous - No?

Chris

Someone told me that, but said their jaws aren't big enough to bite so in effect, they can't hurt you. Is that true?

With regards to the spider, we are going to get more of this as the weather changes. If you are allergic to something, you'll react badly, no matter what it is......but it must be quite rare. It's just my fear of creepies that gets me a bit paranoid. I was terrified of bees and wasps all my life, but have never been stung...so what does that say? lol

Some of the worst spider bites here are from spiders you can hardly see so I'm not convinced about "size of jaws". More likely type and level of venom and the nature of the spider involved. Fascinating creatures though and I always leave them alone even if some of them do eat bees.

Note the hangers on in this situation.

Spider-and-bee.jpg

Chris

Some of the worst spider bites here are from spiders you can hardly see so I'm not convinced about "size of jaws". More likely type and level of venom and the nature of the spider involved. Fascinating creatures though and I always leave them alone even if some of them do eat bees.

Spider-and-bee.jpg

Chris

That is horrendous!! I think maybe I was told that because I'm such a baby about these things....just to try and make me feel better lol.

the woodlouse spider can and will bite, take a look at the fangs (designed for puncturing wood-lice)

the woodlouse spider can and will bite, take a look at the fangs (designed for puncturing wood-lice)

Nice :( I had another look at the link above to try and identify the huge monsters that invade my home, and now I feel unwell. Horrible things. I won't let anyone kill one though, it's not their fault I'm a big baby lol.

I anyone can identify them then it would help, just so I don't have to go on google and look at more spider pictures ( preserve my sanity ). They live in the house....never seen one outside in the garden, they are quite big, about 2-3 inches taking legs and things into account, a bit hairy on the legs and are a grey colour. They might be common old spiders but I don't know what type they are. Someone told me they are wolf spiders, and they don't spin webs, they chase their prey ( great ), but they don't look like the wolf spider on the above link. I live in the North West, so it's a manc spider, not a southerner.

Spider-and-bee.jpg

Chris

That is a brilliant photo Chris. What a beautiful creature and like you say fascinating. I get wound up when people start screaming at spiders and snakes. Living in the UK its an irrational fear and one that people really should get over. I know its bred into us over millions of years or handed down by parents but if people were better educated they would realise what amazing creatures spiders and snakes are.
My dad taught me that no creepy crawly is scary and over the years i have had over ten pet tarantulas and several snakes and lizards along with the usual array of pets. My oldest tarantula lived to 13 and my last surviving is well on her way.

Dont be scared of these amazing creatures, live with them and conquer your irrational fears.

Rant over x:rant:

we have them in Ireland as well. Here is one that was preying on my apideas box

I have found recently, that my fear wasn't the actual creature itself, it was not expecting it to be there. I used to be terrified of bees, but have got over it recently after doing the taster beekeeping course, but while getting suited up last week, my son who came with us, found a bee stuck to his glove. I did the usual jump, heart racing, prickly skin thing and everyone was laughing because I was suiting up getting ready to inspect the hive, and had to sit down over a dead bee stuck to a glove!!! :D

To be fair, I know it is daft to be afraid of these things, and could kick myself for it...it's something that I just wish I could get over, but it isn't something you can control. I think the reason I got over the bees is because I knew they were there, and my mentor calmly took me through it. This is why I've come to the conclusion it is the unexpected, quick scuttling at the corner of your eye that freaks me out. Once I know it is there, I can get on with things. It isn't a nice thing to suffer from, for the rest of the day you feel like something is crawling on you, and the initial fright isn't pleasant either. None of my family react this way, but I was talking to my mum and she told me that when I was about 5, i was at school and a wasp flew and landed on my face, the teachers and children were all stood round telling me to stay still, and close my eyes, then it walked over my eye lid and then flew away. She had to come an pick me up early as I was so upset. The whole school were stood in a circle watching,a nd the whole experience could be why I get so upset.

Still feel daft after though lol

PS The bigger things like tarantulas don't bother me funnily enough, it's the small, fast moving, scuttling things.

Nice :( I had another look at the link above to try and identify the huge monsters that invade my home, and now I feel unwell. Horrible things. I won't let anyone kill one though, it's not their fault I'm a big baby lol.

I anyone can identify them then it would help, just so I don't have to go on google and look at more spider pictures ( preserve my sanity ). They live in the house....never seen one outside in the garden, they are quite big, about 2-3 inches taking legs and things into account, a bit hairy on the legs and are a grey colour. They might be common old spiders but I don't know what type they are. Someone told me they are wolf spiders, and they don't spin webs, they chase their prey ( great ), but they don't look like the wolf spider on the above link. I live in the North West, so it's a manc spider, not a southerner.

Is this the one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/348.shtml

Latest posts

Back