False wasp nest?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone used the fake wasp nests which are supposed to be a detterent to both foraging wasps and hornets?

I have to say i'm skeptical, given they look like a cloth bag and cost nearly £20 for 2. Also wonder how effective it is if they smell honey!

If it works it'd be worth it though....

Here's a link http://www.waspinator.co.uk

Sorry should have searched first :blush5:

I see that "It is based on a wasp deterrent method from the Middle Ages, and has been updated using modern materials and the horizontal design which make it so highly effective and practical."... Hmm... So its a fake wasp nest which you plonk wherever which puts off wasps because they think its real. But I see it is unlikely to work if there is a real nest nearby, surely the time you need it most? I'm skeptical, but if a sensible bee person conducts a proper trial, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Wasp nests are normally hidden below ground or inside other dark spaces. When do wasps in nature ever see an exposed nest like that? When did you ever see a real wasp nest like that out in the open? Having said that, I had two wasp nests in opposite corners of the same shed roof about 10 feet apart (and 50 yds from hives) a few years back. Each visible to the other, and working happily until I dispatched them.

I was too quick to reply -as a new(ish) bee here I haven't seen previous posts -will look now, I need a good laugh, but that's another story...

Last edited:
Ive already done several lots of "twin" wasp nests this year, got some great HD footage of them too.
The waspinator is utter crap. So, you buy a waspinator and you dont get a wasp nest. It must have worked???
I would say that you wouldnt have a got one anyway. Ive done loads of twins and lots of triple nests too, i dont think those wasps read the waspinator manual :D

Ive already done several lots of "twin" wasp nests this year, got some great HD footage of them too.
The waspinator is utter crap. So, you buy a waspinator and you dont get a wasp nest. It must have worked???
I would say that you wouldnt have a got one anyway. Ive done loads of twins and lots of triple nests too, i dont think those wasps read the waspinator manual :D

Bees, wasp, hornets and most honery(sp) critters never read the right books or manuals and if the do the "yoof" in them makes them do the opposite.

Latest posts

Back