Fake Smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otleybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am doing a presentation to my sons school about beekeeping and thought that it might be fun to have some fake smoke in the smoker to simulate smoking the hive.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this?bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Showing my age and stupidity.....visit the bike sheds before starting your talk, in my day you would be sure to find someone who could help out!

Chalk dust, talcum powder?

Cheers
S

whatever you do will be against some H&S regulation,

and dont take any photos or you'll get locked up....

Last edited:
Ask the police for a smoke grenade: or even better, tear gas.

Draw and cut out a cartoon cloud on card and write the word "Smoke" on it. A bit like those joke guns which unroll a banner which saying "Bang".

I think that is the best idea.. Kids will love it.... Pretend to light the smoker, pull the smoke cloud out of your pocket "and heres some I made earlier"

I would not worry about the smoke at all. I did a talk at school for the pet club, I brought a frame, my bee suit and a power point with lots of bee pictures. The children were so interested and asked so many questions that I did not need many props at all. This was in an inner city boys school and questions included: do you have names for them and do you let them out.... Enjoy.

Don't know if this would work, but how about taping some fine strips of silk or other light weight material around the outlet knozzle on your smoker, you know, the same way they do on the air condition outlet vent grills...

Particularly effective if inside before the first puff perhaps. Take the most disruptive element by surprise and quieten him down for a second or two.

You'll need to check it first to ensure you have enough puff. Of course one of those rolled up party/carnival blowout things could suffice. Whatever you use or don't, have fun.

Back