Fake news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the BBC does not get it right all the time - who does? The FT has some of the best balanced objective coverage, but it does not cover everything, for obvious reasons. Almost every news source has some sort of bias. I think the biggest problem, especially with news sourced from social media, is confirmation bias. The great thing with the Beeb is that it covers many stories and brings them to public attention that might otherwise be missed. It misses some too. On the whole though, it is an institution the the UK should be incredibly proud of. People all around the world value it immensly.

So the BBC does not get it right all the time - who does? The FT has some of the best balanced objective coverage, but it does not cover everything, for obvious reasons. Almost every news source has some sort of bias. I think the biggest problem, especially with news sourced from social media, is confirmation bias. The great thing with the Beeb is that it covers many stories and brings them to public attention that might otherwise be missed. It misses some too. On the whole though, it is an institution the the UK should be incredibly proud of. People all around the world value it immensly.

I agree that the BBC is a valued resource; but the fact that it is deservedly, so widely respected, doesn't mean that its editorial decisions should be received uncritically.

I agree that the BBC is a valued resource; but the fact that it is deservedly, so widely respected, doesn't mean that its editorial decisions should be received uncritically.
Couldn't agree more - Objective critical examination is always needed, whatever the source.

Nobody said that, but I wouldn't want you to feel excluded if that's what you feel you are.

The BBC is not perfect, like anyone else, but at least it tries to be balanced unlike most other sources that have no such mandate.
You absolutely alluded to that which is why I questioned you.

The Chairman of the BBC is a major Tory donor, how can that be impartial? BTW I do not read the Daily Mail or read any conspiracy theory websites, not that I feel the need for you to know but just so you don't retaliate with such nonsense.

Assuming “News” is a report of current information about something that has just happened or will happen soon; does it become something else when the reporter interprets and/or adds speculative comment or invites others to do so, to the information? I have often noted intense speculative comment made by many supposedly impartial reporters. Values are changing.

There do not seem to be any 'news-readers' these days, just broadcasters and mainstream journalists who are often (happy to be) used by public relations professionals, politicians, propagandists and others whose aim is to obtain maximum news coverage for real/pseudo-events.

And if you read/believe the daily mail?

I am not sure if the Daily Mail is like the rags out here but if it is then IMO you are reading some pretty low level journalism and should actually be skeptic of it's news, using it as entertainment rather than a source of truth. People can read and believe whatever they like though, no question.

On the whole, mainstream media, the CBC and CTV here, is informative and fair.

When both sides, the left and the right, slam the station of being bias to the 'other' it tells me that on the whole they are trying to give the public information from either side.

Daily Mail is like the rags out here but if it is then IMO you are reading some pretty low level journalism
they are the lowest of the low to be honest - made their money supporting fascism and anti semitism in the 1930's and has gone downhill from there.

My mother died in 2012. I have fond memories of her sitting at the kitchen table tutting over the Daily Mail spread out in front of her. I refused to debate anything she read but it gave her great pleasure nevertheless
My right wing mother(extreme) has read the Daily Mail most of her life but now denies any knowledge of ever having read it ever.
She knows, we know, she knows we know, she knows she still does yet still denies it.
Obviously lying is now acceptable given the her choice of governments addiction to it!

they are the lowest of the low to be honest - made their money supporting fascism and anti semitism in the 1930's and has gone downhill from there.
The most racist and antisemitic rag managed to convince it's readers that a guy who had fought racism and anti semitism his whole life , was in fact the most racist and anti semitic person EVER born!
You could not make it up...but they do!

Latest posts

Back