Failing queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi All,
I have a failing queen there is only about four frames of brood and there not full I was wondering what to do. They haven’t superseded the queen so should I regrettably terminate the queen if there are day old eggs and let the bees produce a new queen would this work? :confused:

If you have drones about then yes.

Is it worth the hassle? I would bump her off and unite to a strong stock then take a nuc off it later when you have a queen or two to spare.

PH

Thanks for the advice I only hive the one hive working at the moment is this still a good idea?

Hi Neil

What makes you think the queen is the problem? Other possibilities exist, from disease to poor local forage. Bumping off the queen will delay the build-up further and will not necessarily solve anything (but it might!).

A failing queen might have patchy brood (and other things give this too) or you may find scattered drone cells where they shouldn't be.

Can you call on an experienced beekeeper to have a look?

best wishes

Gavin

PS Or post a pic of a brood frame.

If you kill the queen the best you will get will be an emergency queen with similar genetics to the one you just removed.

Is the box packed with bees yet with very little brood? if you have only a few frames of bees you will only have a few frames of brood as you need sufficient bees to keep brood warm.
The problem could be lack of bees rather than a poor queen.
If there is a lot of free space in the brood box consider removing a few frames and replacing them with dummy boards. This will help the bees keep brood warm by reducing space.

Neil, if you have only one colony (and 4 hives?) you might consider putting the queen on a frame of brood plus stores in a nuc and allow the colony to produce a queen? However this may depend on answers to jon's quenstions above.

Can you give the local bee inspector or a mentor a call,they could check for Nosema etc and then advise if its illness or the queen/amount of bees.

Latest posts

Back