failing nuc....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On advice split a hive that was about to swarm ( 6 june) - queen cell (capped) food, lovely brood, eggs, bees, then shook in more bee...all looked lovely. then On my return after a couple of days away it did'nt "look right".

Had a look - few bees (few dead but i thing they are chucking them out but can't see), QC still capped, s/o eggs but think they are dead, some faecal stains on inside, chalky cells/some dead brood, stores look off but very few - there is honey and nectar. Not right - feel very fed up!
Is there anything I can do for these bees ie feed anything - I have a spare hive but don't want to put in remaining bees with other hive in case of disease...or they'll fight?

A few days ago there were signs of flying bees and drones etc - it appeared healthy but obviously was'nt.

Any advice welcome as I am due a way again tomorrow for a few days....

Floss

Possibly 'about to swarm' meant you put in a lot of flying bees and they have gone home? Leaving the nuc with too few bees?

An alternative is a health problem but would not like to suggest anything. you might need the bee inspector or an experienced beek to advise if it is not my initial thought. Better to be sure than wait too long.

Regards, RAB

On advice split a hive that was about to swarm ( 6 june) - queen cell (capped) food, lovely brood, eggs, bees, then shook in more bee...all looked lovely. then On my return after a couple of days away it did'nt "look right".

Get the hang of artificially swarming a colony that is likely to swarm and you are half way to becoming a good beekeeper.

You maybe didn't give the queenless part of the split anything like enough young bees ... if you moved it to a new stand. Every bee old enough to fly would have headed home asap, and therin lies the reason why it has no foragers. The queenless part of the split (if moved to a new stand) isn't going to have foragers for a good while.

Next time, perhaps consider moving the queenright part of the split to a new stand, and letting the queenless part stay in situ and raise a new queen.

Tx you both and sorry for my late response - I did contact the bee inspector and he said basically the same as your good selves and this makes perfect sense to me (now!).
I felt very demoralised as it is the 2nd time I have attempted this but he is coming over to go through my hives with me this week.

The good news is that my queenless colony (that I think you previously advised on RAB) has apparently requeened as I saw eggs yesterday - oh the highs and lows....but that was a good feeling!

Many thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back