Face mask for Apibioxal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "fit test" was a particulate counting machine that compared particulate count outside and inside the mask. However it's predecessor was aerosolised bitrex (or a sweet substance for the few that can't taste bitrex), if you couldn't taste it when breathing/moving/talking it was passed as ok.
It's probably something you could reproduce if concerned, but you need to make a fine aerosol.

I agree with some other comments , I don't think that the standard FFP2 is sufficient. It maybe OK if you dissolve Api-Bioxal for treacle, but surely not for the sublimation. Beekeeping is very expensive stuff and we easily spent thousands on the equipment but discussing to spend under £100 for a decent masks and filters. I use half base 3m 6000 serries with organic vapour filters and P3 particle filters. I also do some checks to the negative pressure etc. I change filters every season and change particle filters on each occasion. Health is more important to enjoy the bee longer so why bother risking at all.

I agree with some other comments , I don't think that the standard FFP2 is sufficient. It maybe OK if you dissolve Api-Bioxal for treacle, but surely not for the sublimation. Beekeeping is very expensive stuff and we easily spent thousands on the equipment but discussing to spend under £100 for a decent masks and filters. I use half base 3m 6000 serries with organic vapour filters and P3 particle filters. I also do some checks to the negative pressure etc. I change filters every season and change particle filters on each occasion. Health is more important to enjoy the bee longer so why bother risking at all.
You can always use higher spec protection, but that route ends in a full hazmat suit with a separate breathing gas supply if taken to extremes.
I don't think organic vapour filters are necessary simply because we are not dealing with organic vapours (if you are inhaling OA at a temperature high enough for it to be in the vapour phase you have other problems!!). A particle filter should be all the respiratory protection you need, grade can be debated but I'm sure the manufacturers will have evidence that ffp2 is ok as it would have been easy to specify higher. Protection for skin and eyes is a separate matter. I use eye protection generally, though the risk is probably small if you move away from obvious clouds of OA particles.

Latest posts

Back