Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I have been producing COSHH assessments for a teaching apiary and have been getting Safety Data Sheets for each product. When I was looking for the SDS for Apibioxal I was sent this.
Item 4.5 indicates a FFP2 mask is all that is required whilst using the product.

Attachments

polymath 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15 - 20
I find the veil keeps some of it out🤮
Please Please Yes use a FFP2 mask, all Oxalic Acid fumes are VERY dangerous if inhaled, your veil keeps 0% out.

You can use full or half mask, but you must use one. The filters last some time if you keep them in a ziplock bag so they do not dry up, mine up five years old now. But YES it must be FFP2 to remove the gas.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Please Please Yes use a FFP2 mask, all Oxalic Acid fumes are VERY dangerous if inhaled, your veil keeps 0% out.

You can use full or half mask, but you must use one. The filters last some time if you keep them in a ziplock bag so they do not dry up, mine up five years old now. But YES it must be FFP2 to remove the gas.
Immediately the vapour leaves the heat it condenses back to a solid. The drifting cloud you can see is powder not gas.

StephenT 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
My point in the original post is that there have been many posts here debating the types of masks required and most people advocating the used of ones that filter organic acid gases.
I was surprised to find a definitive answer from the manufacturer that a FFP2 mask was adequate!

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If the manufacturers are saying a FFP2 mask we can assume they consider the material is not in a gaseous state and hence no need for the organic acid gases filter. They obviously consider a particle filter is adequate to protect the respiratory system but I take your point about the eyes.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

DaveG23 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I found this article useful when choosing a mask

But 3m codes may have changed.

The filters on mine say ABEK1 and the code is 6059, they cover organic, inorganic and acid vapours. There is also a particulate filter.

I am amazed how many people don't use a mask