extractor wisdom please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi i am contemplating purchasing a new extractor
there are several with integral settling tanks below the extractor, rather than the extractor being on legs...does anyone have any experience of the integral type..do they wobble a lot? looks like you cant bolt them down. are they fixed together securely enough to stop rattling and wobbling.??
should i but an integral type or the conventional arrangement?
thanks alec

I had one with a tank in the bottom and have since sold it. It worked very well and didnt wobble the problem was that the honey tap was right at the bottom of the settling tank, so it then has to be lifted up onto something to allow you to jar the honey. It can be very difficult lifting 100lb+ of honey. I sold mine which was a four frame tangential and bought a nine frame electric radial.

Mine has 3 legs and enough space under the cage for about 30 pounds of honey. The tap is at the right hight to drain the honey through a strainer into a 30 pound bucket. This arrangement works fine and the extractor is light enough (just) to carry outside for cleaning. An extractor with a large tank underneath would not suit me but if you had a honey house and were able to install the extractor at the correct hight and then were able wash it in situ - I guess it would be perfect.

You are not telling me that you jarred straight out the extractor? Please tell me I read that wrong....

PH

Yeah it's the flecks of cappings, the bees legs and other parts of anatomy not to mention frame nails and bits of wood.

PH

I am not quite sure what quantities we are talking about here, but from the extractor my honey goes through a double strainer into a settling tank and then after a few days, not before, do I put into 30lb buckets for storage or jar, that way the honey is settled and clear ready for use otherwise if you put straight from extractor into bucket, every bucket you have will have foam/scum on top :(

Works for me, Enzo

PH I dont bottle without straining either. The OP was on about an extractor with built in (under) storage most of which, have some sort of filter fitted. This is the one I used to use
http://www.bees-online.co.uk/view.asp?ID=921

As you can see it stands on the floor and if put up high enough to put a bucket under it would then be too high to use the extractor part.

Last edited:
It worked very well and didnt wobble the problem was that the honey tap was right at the bottom of the settling tank, so it then has to be lifted up onto something to allow you to jar the honey

You can see where I began to wonder.....

Whew...

PH

Back