Extractor on eaby.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Suprised this got no bids at all. Not that clever looking but I have seen worse.

and no, although its in Norwich it wasnt me selling it.

Dont think I'd fancy any honey generated by that rusty old thing!

!B8Lv9J!CGk~$(KGrHqIOKnUEy0QNRfh)BM2WWRF)0Q~~_3.JPG

Now theres a much nicer one available on this forum's own auction site just waiting for someone to meet its reserve!*

*Admin - please feel free to edit this if it contravenes anything:biggrinjester:

Just anyone is any doubt it would be illegal to sell honey extracted from that machine. Not that that would stop people doing it but they would face the prospect of a big fine if Trading Standards found traces of paint or rust in the honey.

It might be possible to clean it up by sand blasting and then epoxy painting it but probably not worth the effort or cost.

Surely with a scrub it wouldn't be that bad, would it? Can you paint the inside of such a vessel to seal it?

My father bought a much worse one (35 years ago). Being an electroplater he was able to tinplate it. I've looked at doing similar, but a bit involved if you don't have the kit.

For £20 for personal use it could have been modified! But given it did not sell, offer the seller £10.

Change the drum for a food grade plastic one.

Change the cage mesh to stainless steel

The gear unit would be Ok as that is not in contact with the honey, but a clean would help.

But note my above use of the word personal use.

There was another one he had as well. Looked like 12 frames.

i've heard of them being bought, powder coated, then used.....

i've heard of them being bought, powder coated, then used.....

Powder coating would be good. Have to get it done professionally, mind. That would never fit in my oven...

As Rooftops writes, extractors have to be food grade plastic or stainless steel nowadays. There are always old extractors being sold and they should be used as museum pieces or scrapped IMO. Their time has passed. (Bit like me really!)

The internal frame looks like painted steel too. The wire looks like the shoe cage did in our school changing rooms when I was oh so high.

As Rooftops writes, extractors have to be food grade plastic or stainless steel nowadays. There are always old extractors being sold and they should be used as museum pieces or scrapped IMO. Their time has passed. (Bit like me really!)

The internal frame looks like painted steel too. The wire looks like the shoe cage did in our school changing rooms when I was oh so high.

yea where you used to put your black P E pumps lol

Found the other one he had for sale.

Looks bit better.

As Rooftops writes, extractors have to be food grade plastic or stainless steel nowadays. .

Only for selling honey on.

There is nothing stopping you from using that extractor for you own use.

You could even used a lead bucket to collect your honey in, again nothing illegal about that if you wish to use it for yourself.

Latest posts

Back