Extractor Motor speeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamduvern

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Over wintered 1 made it
I have recently acquired a Parvalux motor with built in speed controller the motor runs at 4000 rpm and the gearbox puts out 225 rmp at top speed.
Would this be fast enough to fit direct to the basket??

My main concern is that if extracting 5/6 supers worth would cause the motor to overheat if running at full speed for any length of time so Im thinking of fitting pulleys and changing the ratios so that the motor will drive the extractor at the right speed but allowing the motor to run at around half its max speed.

So what would be the ideal top rpm for extraction?

220 is your max really, the figures i would like are a 80 rpm start with a steady speed up to around 180 rpm to max out the extraction, so people preffer a slower rpm when dealing with certain honeys, like OSR which if wet needs a slower speed or if drier it will want more oomph, when your getting speeds over 200 your starting to risk frames going bang,

IIRC they Most common of the nine frame extractors are usually fitted woth an 80W at 2800rp motor, geared down by approx 10:1, so flat out they are approaching 300rpm.

A motor is designed to run at full speed without overheating - it should only overheat if loaded at slower speeds, overloaded at full speed, or faulty.

Unfortunately without extractor details, motor power, etc, it is not possible to give any further comment on your proposed system. 4000rpm is an unusual number for full speed rpm, unless a controlled DC motor.

Thanks guys looks like I will be going down the direct drive route

Direct drive route?

That implies that you won't be using the geared Parvalux motor, but a directly driven motor using PWM electronic speed control, but Is that what you actually meant? Possibly a brushless DC motor.

There is nothing like a little clarity in our discussions. In fact I quite fancy buying a whole case of clarity from my local wine merchant if the price is right. :)

PS what did your failed overwinter colony die from, starvation?

Last edited:
A motor is designed to run at full speed without overheating - it should only overheat if loaded at slower speeds, overloaded at full speed, or faulty.

This is correct; it is the acceleration that puts most load on the motor, or as RAB says if it is too overloaded to run freely at full speed. Once your extractor is up to constant speed, whatever that is, it will put little strain on the motor.

This is correct; it is the acceleration that puts most load on the motor, or as RAB says if it is too overloaded to run freely at full speed. Once your extractor is up to constant speed, whatever that is, it will put little strain on the motor.

Yes, all that, but at slower speeds the air circulaion from the motor fan is likely to be reduced very considerably. If the motor is designed for long periods of slow-speed running the fan will be substantially oversized at full-speed operation to provide sufficient cooling flow at reduced speed. If that is not the case and the installation is designed for a controlled increase up to full speed (as the normal running 'modus operandi'), then there may be a problem. Burned windings are usually terminal in these small motors. Most commercially used electric motors are 'designed for duty' as the saving on energy usage can be considerable over the expected lifetime of the component.

Direct drive route?

That implies that you won't be using the geared Parvalux motor, but a directly driven motor using PWM electronic speed control, but Is that what you actually meant? Possibly a brushless DC motor.

There is nothing like a little clarity in our discussions. In fact I quite fancy buying a whole case of clarity from my local wine merchant if the price is right. :)

PS what did your failed overwinter colony die from, starvation?

I will be using the Parvalux motor but I will not have to spend time machining up a couple of pulleys and messing around with gear ratios. Instead it will be one cushdrive connector so the motor will fit directly onto the basket

The colony that did not make it was found down the street when the 2 scrotes who nicked it dropped them after my neighbour chased them after he caught them climbing over the back fence

Latest posts

Back