Extractor lubrication

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I have just bought a 2nd-hand motorised extractor from a lady who inherited it from her Father. The bottom of the frame spindle runs in what looks like an elongated bobbin which had some nasty oily liquid in it. I have cleaned this all out in the interested of hygiene but wonder if this "bobbin" which is no more than a plastic tube with "plastic" bearings at both ends needs to be lubricated? If so, with what?

Would have thought that the honey would act as a lubricant....if not then the olive oil is probably the best option... at least its edible....

we use vegatable oil as the lubricant on all our butchery equipment.

My extractor has the cage central pole sitting on a ball bearing, always runs much smoother once the honey gets to it. After todays extraction we decided to always prime it with a spoon of honey before starting from now on.

we use vegatable oil as the lubricant on all our butchery equipment.

My extractor has the cage central pole sitting on a ball bearing, always runs much smoother once the honey gets to it. After todays extraction we decided to always prime it with a spoon of honey before starting from now on.
You could say, "A spoonful of honey makes the machinery go round.... the machinery go round......."

Last edited:
Vaseline will not run out, clean out after every session.
John

Latest posts

Back