extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
as i am a newbie with one hive but will be moving to 2/ 3 hives next year what is the best way to extract honey for someone like myself

do we have to go to the cost of an extractor or can you literally warm the honey to release after uncapping

i would much appreciate your advice :seeya:

Does your association have an extractor that they hire out- or is there a local supplier who hires out??? Much quicker and more efficient to spin extract.
Ask around....
Goodluck

If not go for crush & strain.

Lots of vids and info on tinternet.

Having seen just how much faster the bees fill comb that has been spun rather than foundation, "crush and strain" sounds awful. Both our hives have refilled the super that we took off last week and they've repaired all of the damage caused by our clumsy uncapping really neatly!

Honestly, I'd go for an extractor. Either borrow one or get one second hand - new prices are ugly.

I found a 3 frame tangital stainless jobby online for 165 quid the other night. Very reasonable.

as i am a newbie with one hive but will be moving to 2/ 3 hives next year what is the best way to extract honey for someone like myself

do we have to go to the cost of an extractor or can you literally warm the honey to release after uncapping

i would much appreciate your advice :seeya:

I started with one hive I now have 8+ so first ask yourself will I stop at 2/3 if yes buy a small cheap extractor if no then save and get an electric one. I tore the ligaments in my shoulder with a 3 frame tangential extracting 12 supers, last year. They are so much hard work as you have to turn the frames around twice to extract. It was a nighmare to do the 12 supers in one go. So think carefully as you may well end up with more hives than you planned. Most associations loan/rent out extractors so try these out as well before you buy one.

Back