Extraction - time to go Electric....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a word yes.

Swing cage is great but they need a bloody good brake. My Thomas one didn't and until I got one made for me it ran literally for near an hour before stopping.

The Lyson one I mentioned has I believe a program but as the weights vary I prefer to crank it up myself. It's certainly not a machine to leave untended.

PH

After reading this thread, I have a Question. Currently have a Maismore basic plastic extractor that is getting old and tired. I have 5 hives so generally extract 10 - 15 frames. Am I odd in wanting to replace with an electric extractor? Is the performance of an electric extractor so far better than mechanical that you can get all the honey out without blowing, nice and steady for a time that if doing manually would make one's arm drop off?
It makes the harvesting process a lot quicker. While one load is spinning you're uncapping the next. And in a good year five hives might give you two full supers apiece, maybe more. You'll not regret going electric.

After reading this thread, I have a Question. Currently have a Maismore basic plastic extractor that is getting old and tired. I have 5 hives so generally extract 10 - 15 frames. Am I odd in wanting to replace with an electric extractor? Is the performance of an electric extractor so far better than mechanical that you can get all the honey out without blowing, nice and steady for a time that if doing manually would make one's arm drop off?
If you only get an average of three frames of honey per hive, I'd suggest investing in some decent bees.

In a very good year, 5 hives should give anything between 350-400lbs of honey: say 20 supers.
I extracted over 450 lbs manually in 2018 using a 4 frame tangential extractor. At the end I was too tired to properly spin the honey out and probably left 15% on the frames.

I bought an electric extractor the next year. You can spin 4 frames for 7-10 minutes whilst you uncap the next lot, get more honey and have time for a drink. And your arm does not feel exhausted and about to drop off.
What's not to like?

The Konigin 12 frame is a brilliant bit of kit but as someone said it is industrial looking and built to last.
It's control panel which has 3 programs (personally I only use the on off one but as someone else said they use the same top of the range control panel for all extractors) but doesn't like a dirty electricity supply. (Thornes kept replacing the control panel until I realised electricity spikes in the barn my honey room is in were the problem.)
Yes its size can be a problem if you have to get it out every extraction as I would have to unbolt a leg to get it through the door. A 9 frame would be easier in that situation
The reason the 12 frame is big is because it can extract 12 brood frames radially and 14x12's tangentially.
The Konigin extractors are just about in your budget range.
What ever you decide on, enjoy the more relaxed extracting using electricity! 😊

The reason the 12 frame is big is because it can extract 12 brood frames radially and 14x12's tangentially.
The Konigin extractors are just about in your budget range.
The 20 frame Lyson can do that - and still fit through a standard door.

We bought a konigin 9 frame electric plus the frames for extracting brood frames. It’s brilliant saves so much time and as said above gets much more honey out including osr!

The 20 frame Lyson can do that - and still fit through a standard door.
The Lyson and Konigin both have a 600 dia drum but the latter has splayed legs which increases it’s effective width.
The Lyson can only extract 8 deeps radially and I can’t find any reference to 14x12’s

A little talked-about brand... after much research, and having pulled back from buying a Giordan at a similar price, I bought this Logar 9 frame electric extractor.

https://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/extractor-radial-9f-motor-110wbarrel-52
The quality is peerless - both of the materials and the finish. On German forums, the Logar kit seems to be held in higher regard than Fritz.

The motor is German. It is reversible direction.

The drum has a domed and tilted base, with the tap/gate welded at the rim - so honey drains beautifully.

One of my most pleasing purchases - not just in beekeeping.

An option well worth considering IMHO
When I looked at the spec I wonder if it takes National frames as the maximum size is stated at just ove 7" depth. Is this right.

Logar all day, really well made kit.

Modern Beekeeping are the UK agent for Logar.

The base of the extractors are pretty unique and I don't recall seeing anything like them before.

Must agree, I tried a few and Logar extractors are beautifully made, very easy to clean compared to others, and similar price range.

Its worth getting the soft feet option, and a refractometer at the same time if you don't already have one.

Logar all day, really well made kit.

Modern Beekeeping are the UK agent for Logar.

The base of the extractors are pretty unique and I don't recall seeing anything like them before.

Latest posts

Back