Extraction Shed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Planning on building a new shed for extraction. I have a garage and a small shed where I store my spare equipment. The shed is not big enough (8x4), but the garage is large enough to split and make a store and extraction room. Currently the garage is also a store for some household stuff. So will need something to put the camping stuff etc in.

A) build the garage into an extraction and store room. And build a separate shed for house hold stuff.

B) build a extraction room/store 20ftx10ft with 10ftx10ft for extracting in. This can go where the existing 8x4 is.

I have been pricing sheds. They range from £2500 uninsulated, all the way £20,000 is the highest I’ve been quoted! It was very nice though 😂.
The issue I’m having is insulation it’s putting the cost at almost double.

Please don’t say just build one, I’ve costed that too. It’s around £2500. But probably be around £3000. At the moment im extremely busy at work. I’d have to take time off to build it. The thought of using my holidays which I don’t get enough puts me off.

Has anyone else done a similar project? Would be really interested in costs and where they got there materials from.

I extract in a 10’x 6’ shed , fully insect proofed .
I store equipment in the garage . 5C0F4EEB-6ADE-4319-8599-C6205D7182C8.jpeg5C0F4EEB-6ADE-4319-8599-C6205D7182C8.jpeg74D96DB0-0C94-4E9E-877E-33277DD9ADB0.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D29301C-82E1-4090-9205-F6E1AB275985.jpeg
    9D29301C-82E1-4090-9205-F6E1AB275985.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 16
Planning on building a new shed for extraction. I have a garage and a small shed where I store my spare equipment. The shed is not big enough (8x4), but the garage is large enough to split and make a store and extraction room. Currently the garage is also a store for some household stuff. So will need something to put the camping stuff etc in.

A) build the garage into an extraction and store room. And build a separate shed for house hold stuff.

B) build a extraction room/store 20ftx10ft with 10ftx10ft for extracting in. This can go where the existing 8x4 is.
What about option C)?
.............................Car boot sale.

Im just after clearing an area today to start my Honey shed , digger coming in the morning to start foundations 20x15
The insulation will be the biggest bill

fully insect proofed

Highly recommended. How happy was I last year when I opened the shed door to complete the extraction I'd been doing the previous day, to discover the bees had found a way in that I didn't know about?

Fortunately I'd tidied up the night before and it wasn't a complete nightmare to deal with, just a bit of a nuisance.

I'd be interested to know where people store their full supers prior to extraction though. I've always kept mine in the extraction shed, but sometimes that can be a bit awkward.

James

Highly recommended. How happy was I last year when I opened the shed door to complete the extraction I'd been doing the previous day, to discover the bees had found a way in that I didn't know about?

Fortunately I'd tidied up the night before and it wasn't a complete nightmare to deal with, just a bit of a nuisance.

I'd be interested to know where people store their full supers prior to extraction though. I've always kept mine in the extraction shed, but sometimes that can be a bit awkward.

James
Spare room, project room, kitchen, bedroom.

James
Some friends of mine were offered a building that had been used to prepare cheese so was ideal once they got their equipment into it.
Whithin an hour of them starting to extract a local "wild" colony had found them and there were thousands of bees coming in through different parts of the building. In the end they did all their extraction at night that year.

I put clearer boards on in the evening, remove the supers first thing, store the supers in my van as I extract them then replace them for the bees clean that evening.

I'd be interested to know where people store their full supers prior to extraction though
Outside, stacked up with a bland board top and bottom and cinched up with two ratchet straps (same as I store wet frames in the winter)

Back