extracting without extrator advice please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looks like I may be getting some honey after all!!! However the hive I look after which has done the best is on deep national frames think I may get a whole box full!!!

I have been told that all i need to do is uncap and let it drain overnight in a warm area (Im lucky enough to have aga so heat not an issue!!)

Is it as simple as this??? and if so what is the best container to drain into, straight into plastic tub???

apologies if this has been covered before but couldnt find any posts apart from one that involved destroying the foundation, and if pos I dont really want to do that

I will need to get an extractor sorted for my own hives on shallow frames so does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap option with extraction? Not many pennies left in piggy bank - Hivemaker has it all!!!:biggrinjester:

You could always ask Hivemaker to extract a few frames for you ?
Are you a member of the local association ? they often have an extractor you can use for a few days.

If you end up with quite a few frames of honey you are welcome to come up one evening and put them through my extractor.

Darren.

hive maker is a bit of a journey for me!! Where abouts are you darrenperrett? might just take you up on the offer!! presumably I am correct that most extractors cant deal with deep brood frames though arent i??

I`m about 10 mins North of Bude Mel.
My extractor takes 9 Manley super frames radially & up to 14x12 tangenitally. I wish i`d known it took 14x12 earlier this year because i`ve been suffering with frames of capped 14x12 all through the brood box. I could have pinched some honey from them earlier and given them a bit more space to lay.

Darren.

Back