'Extracting' without a spinner?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Being a 'newbee' beek this season with one small swarm and one well-developed nuc I will probably not end up with more than one or two supers of capped honey...maybe even just a couple of frames.....if I'm lucky!.....and don't really want to go to the expense of buying a manual spinner, capping trays and the like.

I have Manley frames fitted in my supers.

Would someone be good enough to detail a simple method of getting the honey out of the frames and what minimal equipment (type/size of filter etc etc) I'll need to end up with some in a clean storage bucket?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
may i suggest to look at my video about two frame honey extractor, the hero actor of good looking ness?, he with rugged good manly looks and just a general good bloke has once again answered your calls of super startdom with a simple stick and a couple of bits of ply

not that i am biased or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want a really low tech solution then cut the comb out of the frame mash it up and then put it all into a pair of the missus's tights ( i wouldnt ask first the answer is bound to be no). Arrange to hang the whole lot over a bucket and leave it to gravity to do the work for you overnight.

two modifications to David's post:-
Rather than cut the whole lot out of the frame carefully scrape the comb back to the foundation then give it back to the bees to clean and re-draw.
2. leave to drain overnight IN A BEE PROOF ROOM :)
:cheers2: Mike

Any particular 'denier' darlings? ;-)

I did a mash and strain with one frame from my hive. I scraped the comb back to the midrib, into a stainless kitchen sieve placed over a bowl. Left it over night to drain. The wax (mush) was then given back to the bees along with the scraped frame which they have now drawn out again.

Doesnt your local bee club have an extractor for hire? Most bee clubs seem to have one, or have a member that will loan you one for a few days.
Certainly in my area, you can hire an extractor for a nominal amount to club funds, but you must return it (understandably) immaculately cleaned.

The problem is that I've opted to use Manley frames in my supers and I understand that the number of extractors that can take them is limited to a certain type. I'm not going to invest in one myself until I'm (hopefully) producing enough honey to justify it.

Doesnt your local bee club have an extractor for hire? Most bee clubs seem to have one, or have a member that will loan you one for a few days.
Certainly in my area, you can hire an extractor for a nominal amount to club funds, but you must return it (understandably) immaculately cleaned.

The problem is that I've opted to use Manley frames in my supers and I understand that the number of extractors that can take them is limited to a certain type. I'm not going to invest in one myself until I'm (hopefully) producing enough honey to justify it.

I have the same problem. This will be my first year extracting honey and I'm using Manleys. Before I lash out a second mortgage on a decent extractor I would like to know which would be suitable for me. Help/advice anyone?

Paul.

I've got a small old fashioned extractor, takes 2 full sized frames. I need to re-cork the tap and then it will be for sale.

Because it's old it is a tinned lining of course, but that's not a problem if the honey isn't for sale.

Frisbee

if you want a really low tech solution then cut the comb out of the frame mash it up and then put it all into a pair of the missus's tights ( i wouldnt ask first the answer is bound to be no). Arrange to hang the whole lot over a bucket and leave it to gravity to do the work for you overnight.

Thanks for this david as I am about to have a go without an extractor.
One question though do you leave the cappings on as well.?
:willy_nilly:

take a look at Kazmcc's thread in the main forum - all you need is a broom handle, a piece of ply and some chicken wire.

Thanks for this david as I am about to have a go without an extractor.
One question though do you leave the cappings on as well.?
:willy_nilly:

You could try this method, skip the 1st 1.18 mins unless you're into maths?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0tbPhWWrFo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0tbPhWWrFo[/ame]

For any new beekepers who have no equipment and only a bit of honey heres what I did
Last night i took 3 frames out of the super (my very first) and extracted as follows.

using a cake slicer scrape the capping and about 5-10mm of honey off in slices. it took about 5 or 5 passes to get all this off. the scrapings were then placed into a large saucepan.

The edge of the scraper was then run up and down the frame taking more of the liquid honey off which was then added to the saucepan until i got near the foundation. I left a thin film of honey on for the bees to clean up.

With all the honey removed and in the saucepan this was then mashed together to "loosen" the liquid up.

It was them put in one of the wifes old stockings. The black lacy one with a seam up the back and a little red bow at the top.. this was then hung off one of the kitchen cupborad handles and allowd to run into another saucpan.

After 3-4 hrs most iof the honey had run through but it was left all night to fully drain.
Next morning all but a few drips had run though and I had 3/4 ofa large saucepan of honey which I have now covered and left for all the air to rise and i will have a go at bottling tonight. Hopefully no explosions.

the wax and residue will be kept as a solid feed to suppliment the syrup feeding later on
Just thought i would pass this on as its a bit daunting at first but easier than you think.

may i suggest to look at my video about two frame honey extractor, the hero actor of good looking ness?, he with rugged good manly looks and just a general good bloke has once again answered your calls of super startdom with a simple stick and a couple of bits of ply

not that i am biased or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've not been here long enough to know where to look for such videos - can you supply a pointer please, or do a waggle dance so I know where to 'fly' to.

Thanks
Rob

Latest posts

Back