Extracting uncapped honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
I have a problem !! I have got 10 supers on 2 hives all nearly full BUT very little of it is capped and I am out of supers I might be able to put a brood box foll of frames on in an emergency
Can I extract the uncapped supers and try to dry the honey out by using a dehumidifier or do I have no choice but to wait for the bees to hopefully cap the frames soon :ohthedrama:

No you don't. Get more boxes and frames.
Don't spoil your yield.

Be happy that it goes so well.

Put most full combs up and nectar combs near brood.
Empty ones on the brood.

No you don't. Get more boxes and frames.
Don't spoil your yield.

Be happy that it goes so well.

Put most full combs up and nectar combs near brood.
Empty ones on the brood.

Thank you finman from reading past posts it is usually you that is the first one to offer advice
Thanks again now to get on the Internet and try to track some cheap frames and foundation as I have got 5 empty super boxs
Any one got any ideas as to where the cheapest place to get them is :sos:

P*y**s have some seconds SN4 at £7.60 per 10. Don't look too bad in the pack, a few knots as you would expect. I have not had a chance to get them out of the pack yet. Such a good year we are all running out of kit.:hairpull:

P*y**s have some seconds SN4 at £7.60 per 10. Don't look too bad in the pack, a few knots as you would expect. I have not had a chance to get them out of the pack yet. Such a good year we are all running out of kit.:hairpull:

Just been on their website but can't find them are they a phone order only product

Sorry Stephen but a question to Finman but perhaps relevant.

If I was to add six supers to a hive over the summer when each super is only half full and the six supers been way over expectation of possible yield will the bees by the end of the summer arrange the supers with three fully capped and three empty?

Have a look at Payne's and Thorne's et.al. online depends what quantity you can lay money down for.

Thank you finman from reading past posts it is usually you that is the first one to offer advice
Thanks again now to get on the Internet and try to track some cheap frames and foundation as I have got 5 empty super boxs
Any one got any ideas as to where the cheapest place to get them is :sos:

Ask first if your friends have something to loan to you.

It is usual that in good flow it will became short of stuff.

Just checked P****s website - I swear they were there yesterday! Must all be gone.

Sorry Stephen but a question to Finman but perhaps relevant.

If I was to add six supers to a hive over the summer when each super is only half full and the six supers been way over expectation of possible yield will the bees by the end of the summer arrange the supers with three fully capped and three empty?

That is common late summer problem.

Bees do not do it itself. During late summer they will consume quite much from open honey, 15-20 kg during late summer 2 months.

Towards autumn bees tend to move honey stores towards the brood area.

You take those half empty frames away to the store, They are filled different way even in one box.

When honey flow is over, you put the most empty into boxes over the inner cover (that feeding hole) and let the bees transfer honey to the lower boxes.

Then next box..

In open rob feeding you get all hives to your yeard inside radius one kilometre. You will loose a lot in that riot.

Do it so that they do not fransfer same honey several times.

T's brief Centenary online sale starts Sunday. Likely some frames (and boxes).

That is common late summer problem.

Bees do not do it itself. During late summer they will consume quite much from open honey, 15-20 kg during late summer 2 months.

Towards autumn bees tend to move honey stores towards the brood area.

You take those half empty frames away to the store, They are filled different way even in one box.

When honey flow is over, you put the most empty into boxes over the inner cover (that feeding hole) and let the bees transfer honey to the lower boxes.

Then next box..

In open rob feeding you get all hives to your yeard inside radius one kilometre. You will loose a lot in that riot.

Do it so that they do not fransfer same honey several times.

Thanks Finman I have a lot of uncapped honey this year, they still have time to cap it and in the last week its looking that way in some of the hives so I may follow your advice apart from the open feeding I don’t think that will go down well.

I am having trouble getting honey capped on most of my hives then checked a hive that I think have been collecting field bean honey and 3 supers perfectly capped every frame in all the boxes in 10 days. Absolutely perfect no brace come just a couple of shakes and al the bes fell off.

Wish they were all like that would free up some kit.

You are in trouple? How so? Don't bees obey you?

Better to say like in Olympic Games: citius, altius, fortius

No one obeys me, just find it strange that one hive does the job so well and the others really need to get there ass in gear so I can have my boxes back.
I have made another 15 supers along with frames this year getting fed up with knocking frames together.

And wondering what I am going to do with all my honey???

No one obeys me, just find it strange that one hive does the job so well and the others really need to get there ass in gear so I can have my boxes back.
I have made another 15 supers along with frames this year getting fed up with knocking frames together.

And wondering what I am going to do with all my honey???

I have nursed bees 51 years and never extracted uncapped honey. I have time to wait that they cap it. And my summer is much more shorter than yours.

I know that our beekeepers exctract unrippen honey but I do not know why.

In late summer, when hives are still big and then yield flow stops, there are lots of uncapped honey. Usually I let them stay there and bees eate the stuff during August.

And wondering what I am going to do with all my honey???[/

Yes, that is problem. " after miserable years everybody is offering they honey to customers.

If I have customers to 1000 kg, and I get douple yield, from where I find twice as much customers. And then next year, I have perhaps 700 kg to sell when it just seemed that I am going to be rich!

Regarding uncapped honey --- borrow (or buy) a refractometer, and test the water content. It can be low enough to extract even though it is still uncapped.

A "shake test" is the low tech way, but the refractometer should be more accurate.

I have nursed bees 51 years and never extracted uncapped honey. I have time to wait that they cap it. And my summer is much more shorter than yours.

I know that our beekeepers exctract unrippen honey but I do not know why.

"Capped" is not a neccessary condition for being "ripe" it may be a sufficient condition.

Latest posts

Back