extracting thin wireless wax frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've 2 supers of thin wireless comb frames, plan to use for cut comb, Not a great idea with OSR of course!!

Extraction - should I try to extract using electric extractor, or will the wax just fall apart??

If you start gently and allow the speed to build up they should be fine. All my frames are foundationless and no wires - I very rarely get any blow outs ...it's about technique .. slowly, slowly build up the speed because it's the weight of the honey that increases exponentially with the rotational gravity thay causes the frames to blow out.

If you have a tangential extractor you need to be a bit more careful - spin out one side very gently, turn the frames, do the other side which you can spin faster (but again starting slowly and building up) and then go back to the first side and spin that at a higher speed to finish the job.

Just be careful and you can 'feel' the point where you can increase the speed.

However, if it's OSR you are spinning out you need to get on with it because it sets like a brick in no time.

If you start gently and allow the speed to build up they should be fine. All my frames are foundationless and no wires - I very rarely get any blow outs ...it's about technique .. slowly, slowly build up the speed because it's the weight of the honey that increases exponentially with the rotational gravity thay causes the frames to blow out.

If you have a tangential extractor you need to be a bit more careful - spin out one side very gently, turn the frames, do the other side which you can spin faster (but again starting slowly and building up) and then go back to the first side and spin that at a higher speed to finish the job.

Just be careful and you can 'feel' the point where you can increase the speed.

However, if it's OSR you are spinning out you need to get on with it because it sets like a brick in no time.
:iagree:
Many of my shallows have thin unwired foundation as any who didn't make the grade for cut comb just become part of the stock. Had more wired ones blow to be honest.

Latest posts

Back