Extracting honey......all at once or a few frames at a time?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
As a small time beekeeper, prompted by something said in a recent talk, I'm considering the extraction of honey a few frames at a time during the year. I can imagine many of the logistical arguments against this, and I'm prepared to deal with them.

But, for the bees, I'm wondering if there are likely to be any negative (or even some positive) consequences from doing this when compared with removing honey a box at a time.

Last edited:
:D you might pee them off more often.
I don't see a particular problem with that approach, it also goes along with knowing your local forage and flow times and is something I have done in the past with a vertical hive system, and who hasn't pinched a frame and enjoyed it at teatime with the family anyway.

Negatives mainly for the spring honey crop if it's not a good one you take frames out and because the colony are expanding really well they could almost end up starving if the weather turns for a few weeks.
I would rather leave and wait for full supers, I've left the spring crop and it has benefits.
It would be a lot of hassle and time wasting going around removing a few frames from 50/100 supers for imo know reason other than beekeeper/family enjoyment .
I will admit I have done it in the past, even this last Heather season I had to try some heather honey in the comb for the first time.
Warm fresh honey comb :drool5:

As a small time beekeeper, prompted by something said by Filipe Salbany in his recent talk, I'm considering the extraction of honey a few frames at a time during the year. I can imagine many of the logistical arguments against this, and I'm prepared to deal with them.

But, for the bees, I'm wondering if there are likely to be any negative (or even some positive) consequences from doing this when compared with removing honey a box at a time.

Cleaning an extractor is just too much of a pain for a few frames. But pulling a few at a time and putting them in a chest freezer until you have enough to bother extracting, yes, I've done that

Back