Extracting granulated honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Has anyone ever extracted honey from heavily granulated comb by crushing , heating to 30-40 in a warming cabinet overnight, then compacting it in a fruit press?

Has anyone ever extracted honey from heavily granulated comb by crushing , heating to 30-40 in a warming cabinet overnight, then compacting it in a fruit press?
On a larger scale I have done something similar, so yes. You'll likely need to go higher than 40 but probably less than 50 to make sure it all turns back to liquid though.

On a larger scale I have done something similar, so yes. You'll likely need to go higher than 40 but probably less than 50 to make sure it all turns back to liquid though.

Ok perfect , i'd like to avoid heating it too much but so long as I can get the bulk of it out come September id be happy!

To completely get rid of crystals in OSR , once in buckets, I have to heat to 50, and stir quite a bit. Wax melts at, I believe 62.
If you can wangle it I would suggest you try to get it off before it sets. Set comb is a sod

To completely get rid of crystals in OSR , once in buckets, I have to heat to 50, and stir quite a bit. Wax melts at, I believe 62.
If you can wangle it I would suggest you try to get it off before it sets. Set comb is a sod

Does that effect the honey at all?

It will increase the Hmf level but not significantly . Tried to copy the link to the paper but I could not get it to work

Latest posts

Back