Extracted Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deerless

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Advice please, just extracted 75lb of the amber nectar from my garden hive and was wondering what to do with the frames which are a little wet with residual honey. Someone has suggested I place them next to the hive and let the girls clean them up before storage but I am worried this may attract every wasp for miles.

Deerless

Mine will go back on the hives above the crown board for a couple of days. (after varroa treatment)
I would not place them next to the hive, as you say will attract the wasps and other bee's

That's an amazing first crop of honey.
Don't leave the wet frames in the open or you will start a robbing frenzy. Put the frames back in the empty supers, and in the evening put the supers back on the hive, above the crown board, with the feed holes open, to allow the bees to come up and clean the frames. Place another crown board over the wet supers, to prevent access from above, and then fit the roof.
Leave for three or four days and the frames will be dry, and the bees will have repaired the combs. Clear bees out with Porter escapes, and remove dry supers for storage.

I have left one super on as it was only partially drawn out. Do I leave the crown board on top of this and then put empty supers on top with one of the clearer holes exposed to allow them access. Sorry if this is a simple question but as this is first year I want to get it right.

Deerless

I have left one super on as it was only partially drawn out. Do I leave the crown board on top of this and then put empty supers on top with one of the clearer holes exposed to allow them access.

Deerless

yes :biggrinjester: (IMHO)

would think you have time to do it either way, just that i want to start treatment now and will then feed up for the winter afterwards

Place another crown board over the wet supers, to prevent access from above, and then fit the roof.
How can they get through a roof,or is this just incase the roofs are crap.

I've been doing this recently with brood frames ( I also put the QE under the lower crown board). They started storing nectar/honey in these frames. I've removed them for now. Is there any way of preventing this when I try again? There are partially storage frames in the lower BB. They don't seem to be short of space. Would it be better to wait till next month when nectar collection slows down?

I extracted my first super today. I say super, but it was about half one. It looks to have come out at around 12lbs and it is lovely dark runny stuff. Yum.

Latest posts

Back