Extracted my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Extracted 5 supers today. I used a hot air gun do uncap the frames and it was a doddle so much easier and less messy than using knifes or uncapping fork. The honey wont need any exta filtering (extractor has filter in it).
I had 130lb out of 5 supers so am well chuffed.

Not at all. Keep the gun moving quickly across the cappings and they just sort of pull back to the cell walls. No mess no fuss. I used an uncapping fork and that left one hell of a mess in the extractor bits of wax all over. Using the gun left no wax at all in the extractor. :cheers2:

Last edited:
Flamethrower_5.jpg

Veg, I like the idea, I'm going to give it a go. R

does it taint the honey? I recall bottling honey that had been filtered after it had come form the uncapping tray, and obviously contained quite alot of melted wax, even though the wax had set on the top of the honey.....it would be interesting to know

S

I tasted it before and after and there is no difference at all. I dare say if used wrongly the hot air gun could do some damage, but give it a go and see how little time the heat is needed. It would be heated more in a warming cabinet.
I got this idea from these very forums so there are others using it.

What one of our female members did this last year,was it Frisbee ?

Yea i done that last year. You just waft it past the cappings and they melt back.

Like a hole opening up in each cell.

sounds like a plan! i've got a couple more frames to de-cap, i'll give it a go with the hot air

Good point Hawklord. I was about to Nuke the combs with my hot air paint stripper. Which option Veg - or do they both work?

Good point Hawklord. I was about to Nuke the combs with my hot air paint stripper. Which option Veg - or do they both work?

Easy, try the hair dryer............if that don't work it must be the paint stripper.............................but...........

Please let us all know how you get on :)

Yours Roy

It is basically 'speed' and 'distance of pass' related.

I remember back in the 1970s when I used to toast a slice of bread on one side in about 3 seconds. Just gently passed across the muffle furmace open door, after it had been turned up to 1400 degrees celsius (or maybe a little warmer!)

Regards, RAB

It is basically 'speed' and 'distance of pass' related.

I remember back in the 1970s when I used to toast a slice of bread on one side in about 3 seconds. Just gently passed across the muffle furmace open door, after it had been turned up to 1400 degrees celsius (or maybe a little warmer!)

Regards, RAB

I'm surprised you didn't toast yourself in the process !!

Use a hot air paint stripper.

I had a go with a hot air gun this year and didn't do so well. I kept leaving patches not properly melted - i found it hard to see what was melted and what wasn't and any patches i hadn't melted tended to make the combs break in the extractor when I spun them faster.

Latest posts

Back