Extended release OAV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy has dispensation/a licence to do so under scientific research in the US, he is not doing this as a beek willy nilly treating his bees as a hobby or in business.

I’m sure this has been covered but so I am clear. If I am not treating animals (bees)
But I am exterminating mites useing OA is that ok?

No. The mites are a parasite of the bees. To remove their parasites is considered treating the bees.

This is probably a bit like how it's illegal to feed chickens leftover food scraps but pretty much every backyard chicken keeper I ask does it anyway.

Had SBI round to check for AFB and we got chatting about OAV
Seemingly Randy Oliver is having great success with extended release Oxalic so I looked it up
https://scientificbeekeeping.com/mite-control-while-honey-is-on-the-hive-part-4/
Extended release seems to prevent the mites entering the brood cells to reproduce and the mites dwindle.

Is there a place for such a preparation?
Very interesting link dani and thanks for sharing, maybe a treatment that will be studied on over here!

No, if using just generic OA you will need to be bleaching the top bars only.

This. It's all about the intent...

All livestock not just pigs or hens. Can give food specifically bought for them but not human leftovers. So you can buy a loaf of bread for the hens and give it to them but if you take out a slice for yourself first, it's then illegal to feed the rest to the hens. Incredibly stupid and impedes reducing food waste but the intention behind it is sincere (foot and mouth/vCJD anyone?).

Licensing a generic OA is difficult as there's a 13 year minimum wait from the time a substance is first licenced to when you can sell a generic and you have to apply at least two years before marketing it. Api-bioxal first licenced in UK in 2015... Might be 2028 before I can get a generic sorted unless I find some potential wiggle room in the law...

This. It's all about the intent...

All livestock not just pigs or hens. Can give food specifically bought for them but not human leftovers. So you can buy a loaf of bread for the hens and give it to them but if you take out a slice for yourself first, it's then illegal to feed the rest to the hens. Incredibly stupid and impedes reducing food waste but the intention behind it is sincere (foot and mouth/vCJD anyone?).

Licensing a generic OA is difficult as there's a 13 year minimum wait from the time a substance is first licenced to when you can sell a generic and you have to apply at least two years before marketing it. Api-bioxal first licenced in UK in 2015... Might be 2028 before I can get a generic sorted unless I find some potential wiggle room in the law...
Aye and add another two years on to that, considering how slow our government can be on most things.

Aye and add another two years on to that, considering how slow our government can be on most things.

It's not the government, it's the VMD so civil service. Can start the application more than two years in advance I think so if I'm stuck with 2028 then I'll have all the ducks in a row well in advance...as long as it's not exorbitantly expensive to do...

It's not the government, it's the VMD so civil service. Can start the application more than two years in advance I think so if I'm stuck with 2028 then I'll have all the ducks in a row well in advance...as long as it's not exorbitantly expensive to do...
Aye i know what your saying, it is a long time to wait, it would be good if there more trials going on in the UK. To do with OAE.
There are some that are I'm sure ;)

Aye i know what your saying, it is a long time to wait, it would be good if there more trials going on in the UK. To do with OAE.
There are some that are I'm sure ;)

Thing is, because there's already a licensed version, if applying it by sublimation or syrup trickle then getting a generic licenced doesn't need us to do more trials. Can use the original data used for the licensed version as long as you can prove its basically the same stuff... Makes it sound so simple... 🤔

Thing is, because there's already a licensed version, if applying it by sublimation or syrup trickle then getting a generic licenced doesn't need us to do more trials. Can use the original data used for the licensed version as long as you can prove its basically the same stuff... Makes it sound so simple... 🤔
You can buy the strips from abelo?

You’ve misunderstood what a “marketing authorisation” is needed for. Under the The Veterinary Medicines Regulations 2013:
I’m not giving legal advice, come to your own interpretation by all means, but “no person may administer … to animals” doesn’t grant the “end user” any exemption from lack of marketing authorisation that you suggest.

mdotb thank you for taking the time to Post that clear reply, we appreciate it;

so my understanding is as follows....

IF I buy the Abelo Strips (of Oxalic Acid soaked cardboard strips) and drape them over the top bars of my frames, say two for each brood box of bees, for the PURPOSE of cleaning the top bars of my frames (Oxalic Acid is traditionally used for cleaning wood by DIYers) then that is OK...

...BUT if I do exactly the same thing, but for the PURPOSE of treating the varroa mites that is not OK..... okay???

mdotb thank you for taking the time to Post that clear reply, we appreciate it;

so my understanding is as follows....

IF I buy the Abelo Strips (of Oxalic Acid soaked cardboard strips) and drape them over the top bars of my frames, say two for each brood box of bees, for the PURPOSE of cleaning the top bars of my frames (Oxalic Acid is traditionally used for cleaning wood by DIYers) then that is OK...

...BUT if I do exactly the same thing, but for the PURPOSE of treating the varroa mites that is not OK..... okay???

Yes! You've got it! Legislation is great isn't it... :laughing-smiley-014

I am currently looking into the feasibility of getting a generic OA for vaporisation licensed- fitting this around work, family and too many hobbies but will update on progress. If it is possible to do this I will probably look to just slowly recover costs of licensing rather than try to make a living off it so hopefully any price change would be minimal.
You would have the gratitude of every sensible beekeeper in the land. Start a fund and if we all gave a fiver...
They are licensed products and not the generic 99.9 boat cleansing OA we used to buy and use
But is it? The second largest global OA factory is in Spain; would Chemicals Laif in Northern Italy go further for supply?

Latest posts

Back