experimental hives designs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedge, just stop talking and do it. It does not come better with discussion.

Modern and modern. Something modern architecture...

Bigger frames? Do they fit to yourt extractor?

Full lanstroths are quite heavy to handle when I clean then from bees. The weight is about 3 kg.

What is your new frames weight as full, 4,5 kg? and the whole box 60 -100 kg?

Last edited:
you have missed the point finman , i dont want bigger supers or extraction issuses all i want to know is , and this is directed straight at you personaly, if you could would you not find it easier to have one brood box to look through rather than three seperate boxes

I think between you you are both missing the essential point.

Would one box be better than three, in essence of course it would. No argument in theory.

However there is the not so minor matter of physically moving said box.

Can I refer you to my tale of the stuck Langstroth poly on the moors. That was one Langstroth, now if the imaginary one was three times that size and so three times the weight, we are now discussing moving a box weighing some 300 lbs.

I know my back winna take that.

PH

Hah hah pete :) After my 47 beeekeeping years............I had those hives what you plan now :)

I am capable think what I want to do. I love 3 brood box and 5 supers on them beside 50 hectar rape fields ...........

The hive does not bring honey. Plenty of bees bring from good pastures.

And I have electrict heating in spring that they need not waste energy to keep polyhives warm...

In this picture there are 4 brood boxes .... if you like. No excluders.

Kuva_049.jpg

These each hives brought 120 kg honey from fireweed. 500 kg from 3 hives. It is pastures which give honey.
I moved these hives alone in the middle of day. Gun was loaded

valmis3.jpg

Last edited:
THE SECRET OF PROSPEROUS BEEKEEPING IS MIGRATIVE NURSING.

Pete think how to do it.......

Fireweed

Kuva_047.jpg

Dandelion

voikukka_001.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - Finman............... :svengo: :svengo:

Tell me though, where is the brood nest situated in 4 brood boxes? Throughout the 4..........?
Do you extract anything from the outer combs of the brood nest?
Do you have to go through each box as part of swarm control at each visit?

Frisbee

More to the point how do you actually move them? On a trailer yes, but do you have a crane on it or some sort of power lift?

PH

More to the point how do you actually move them? On a trailer yes, but do you have a crane on it or some sort of power lift? They must weigh what? 175kg+?

PH

If I was to try that Finman I would have 2 problems:

They would make swarm cells and the queen would lay in the supers,am I wrong ?

you see why i dont like multi brood boxs you lift one down as it were look through it and then put it to one side, then you pick up the second one look through it and put it on top of the first then you look through that one , still cant find the queen restack the complete lot only to find the queen is either
a, squished because of the multiple buggering around with frames and boxes
b lost in the grass somewhere , now the hive inverts on its self making queen cells
c queen goes to top of brood box to lay , bottom of box swarms out because of queen smell is to week
i would realy much rather have a brood box on one level evan if it is three foot long!

Pete, you talk about things, where you have not much practice. And you say, that i have done *.* with my bees. It is same to me what you think about my systems. bees are not so complicated as you think.

finman my experience with double brood boxes include several seasons working with a proffesional bee keeper i am still able to look and set up 45 brood boxs in an hour and iam able to do that for several days on end when you can work in a lorry that contains 100 bee hives each one is containing sarhra yellow bees at around 50,000 plus bees and do so in 46 degree heat we used to have cooling pipes running the length of the lorry air conditioning for bees,
if you are so qualified you will not what sarhara yellow bees are and what they are like to work with let alone what i have used in england
why is it that when someone just asks for your help or advise you use there expierience against them, all i want from you is help not carcassim , when you work with a commercial; bee keeper and you have 60 plus hive s to look through that day and only that day no longer, so you have 6,600 frames to look at and in a ten hour day you have approx what say 600 minutes thats ten frames a minute no stop, and you wonder why i dont like doubles is because you would have 13,200 frames to look at instead, that is the only reason why I and only I hate doubles, what i get is sarcassim when i want help .

stop being rude and add your voice to the frame size ideas please

Hi Pete

Do you mind if I ask - what are sarhara yellow bees? Do you mean sahariensis bees?

all the best

Gavin

I would like to know how you manage to move such tall colonies Finman. Do you have a crane on your trailer or use some sort of power shifter?

PH

Break them down into smaller units,travel screens, then put back together at new location.

With the new huge frame sizes i would think most honey would be stored in the brood box as the Queen reduces laying,save on having to extract it i suppose,but another issue is treating for varroa,4 trays of apiguard,and reaching the bee's in winter with oxalic,then the small winter cluster having so much vain space to heat,lots of mould i would think.

Last edited:
Hivemaker is right. When hive stores honey to brood frames, i lift them up bees emerge away. If hive is queenless it stores in brood frames and cap them.
in autumn i extract brood frames before winterfeeding.
To me different size brood frame woud be a catastrophe.

Latest posts

Back