Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
There is a vast difference in colouration on the back of the exoskeleton of the honey bee.

What factors cause this?

Regards;

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Are you talking about difference between different species/race of honey bee or difference within one colony? Within a colony it could be because of the queen mating with different drones,and also i think that the area or enviroment the bee's live in could be a factor,for camouflage reasons.I will be interested to hear what the reasons are.

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
What I mean is the colouration of the abdominal sections on the tergites of the exoskeleton.

Believe it or not the body colour of honey bees is essentially black, but because the yellow pigments in the exoskeleton there will also be yellow areas. The intensity of the yellow colour and the pattern of the yellow areas are hereditary as is the hair colour.
It has been found that if a yellow queen is II to a black drone, then the result will be an F1 progeny and they are not like either of the parents. The bands are intermediates in colour.
There are many colour patterns because 7 pairs of genes can produce 2181 different genotypes. Had to look up the numbers.
The colour of the honey bee is highly variable and is often unreliable as a taxonomic (genetic) character.

The hairs on honey bees also varies in colour.
A. mm has hairs of 0.5mm long and black in colour, whereas A. m scutellata has a brownish colour hair of 0.3mm long.

The photo above shows two important aspects.
1. the colouration of the exoskeleton of bees.
2. The difference in age, the young bee has hairs on the thorax the older bee has none.

More useless information.

Regards;

Last edited:

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
Hi Frisbee,

(I'm not allowed to rep you any more till I've rep'd somebody else.
That's very nice of you but in all honesty I do not approve of this Gold star you can be milk monitor stuff. I enjoy passing on information that I think might be interesting for members.

Regards;

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ha - I don't consider it to be the "Gold Star - You can be the milk monitor" although it's an amusing thought.

I consider it to be a mark of respect to you for your skill, ability & knowledge.

Frisbee

Latest posts