Excitement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peebels

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I took on a full and very well establish colony of bees in autumn last year. I slightly unconventional start to beekeeping I suspect, but I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity at the time. I think I had chance to look in on two occasion before closing up for winter. All winter I have been worrying and fretting over how much stores they would have left and if they would make it!

I popped a Pattie on a couple of weeks ago when it was mild and only saw a few bees, and there have not bee that many flying on the mild days. Consequently I was starting to suspect that they were either very depleted, or dying off. Yesterday was quite warm so we had our first inspection, and there where loads. Easily covering 7 frames, and the stores look hardly touched at all, I expected to see lots of empty comb, but most of its still capped over. We even saw the queen.

Not sure why im sharing this, I was just very excited and pleased with it all, especially since I would like to split at the end of April/beginning of may. Just wish I had taken some pictures, maybe if I had you guys could have given me an idea as to what type they are?

It's always good to share. Did you see if the Queen was laying, eggs, larva, ect?

Hope you enjoy your new bees.

Mike.

Yes, I noted capped brood, Larva of various sizes and Eggs. I was unsure about the egg at first and my farther-in-law (who is joining me on this journey into the world of beekeeping) was a little sceptical at first. But holding it up to the light and comparing it with other cells and was pretty convinced they were eggs. Some in the up-right position and some 'fallen over’. I guess my speculation will be confirmed next weekend if its warm enough to go in!

Need to get cracking on making up supers and brood boxes for the split, we currently only have two supers! Clearly not enough!

Just a tip, if you have supers and brood boxes to make; yet have a couple of supers already, make the brood box first.

They are likely to start making queen cells well before filling the supers you have and if your brood box isn't ready for the split, you might not be needing any more supers this year.

Good luck and sounds like you are enjoying it. :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back