evening primrose?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
Hi, I have been observing my bees in the back garden (as you do) and have noticed that in the evening some of the foragers are bringing in what appears to be evening primrose pollen, so much of it per bee that it is hanging like sheets from their back legs!! has anyone else observed this?
(this is a great forum, btw)

I have a few evening primrose about but have'nt noticed any foraging. They are close to the hive. I understand bees like them so I am hoping there will self seed.

Wow, "sheets" of pollen you say?! The weather has been so wet here the bees are'nt bringing in very much at all!

Floss

Bees foraging on evening primrose look like they are trailing yellow candy floss behind them.
You can't miss it.

We've got some by the back door, can confirm the bees seem to love it, and would concur with the "candy floss" observation :)

I have wild seeded (garden escapees) evening primroses near me, the bees work them in the mornings before the sun has had time to see off the flowers :).
The pollen banners trailling behind are due to the pollen grains being 'Y' shaped causing them to interlock and thwarting the bees attempts to store on their back legs properly :).

John Wilkinson

You all seem very lucky. For the third July in a row mine have all got macs on - never mind the pollen

I agree although today has been so sunny and warm. I don't think the bees can believe their luck. They've been frantically working all day so far.

bee-smillie

Uhh! right old posh lot you are, common and garden thistle in North Yorks at the moment, not sticking it to their pollen bags mind - they just seem to be stuffing it down their wellingtons

Latest posts

Back