Not open for further replies.

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Not in May. However we do locate a number of our own breeder queens out in Italy with our partners and can supply F1 crosses from our own stock (so will be our drones they throw) OR their VSH Buckfasts from early April onwards. We cannot guarantee to supply home raised queens before June. Also due to our short season and relatively high costs our queens are about £12 more than the same stock raiused in Italy (but then here they get crossed with other Jolanta lines and so are good in subsequent generations..the Italians are crossed on Buckfast and next generation thus takes you some way down that route.)

We do not intend to do packages in June as we are on the run in to the Bell Heather and need them to recover to full bee power in time. Maybe a few as a trial with home raised Jolanta line queens.
So not UK bees then.

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
So not UK bees then.
It is the logical middle way of producing bees suitable for the "local" UK market, taking UK adapted stock and breeding up in better conditions than Scotland has been blessed with... as opposed to the factory farmed cooking bees from Cyprus/Greece/Portugal and such Mediterranean climes, mass produced for the catch and release market!

We could never possibly scale up queen rearing to meet that market even in the sub tropical Greatgreygreenslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithcovidiotsecondhomershidingfromthechinesepox....... more Rain Forest today!

Chons da

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As I thought - they take the deposits, use any interest that may accrue over the next few months and then return the deposit or hopefully sell a brood box instead.
Ok they aren't going to get rich on the interest but if they pull it off on supply they will probably make a killing as ITLD said. ( or of course piss a load of people off!)
Have you looked at current interest rates?🥺

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Have you looked at current interest rates?🥺
Interest is not everything in the world of finance......CASH FLOW IS , particularly when borrowing from the banks.... can someone front up a few million quid FOC.... as the old Bentley is desperately in need of replacing...

Chons da

Into the lions den 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
smith
Number of Hives
>4000
So not UK bees then.
The bulk bees yes. The May queens no...but 70% of the orders are for our own stock raised over there to get the benefit of earliness, the other 30% favour the Buckfasts, which for the far SE of the UK is understandable as they are very suited to there...less so for the wild and windy north and west.

FWIW...when we have the overlap of the Italy raised and home raised in late May to mid June most customers just choose the cheaper Italian option...and it is purely about price. WE raise over 1200 nucs a year..they are ALL with the home raised..they get a better crop up here than the ones with Buckfast in them.

domino 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The ambassador thing gets to the heart of Brexit. Is the EU a country, in which case it should definitely have its own ambassador. But that means that 27 other ambassadors should be sent home, because they now represent non-independent Member States of the EU. California doesn't have an ambassador, why should France? I'm happy to accept that the EU is a country. I'm even happier that we're not part of it. The UK position was perfectly logical, but I suspect that the 27 didn't want to answer the question.
If the UK position is 'logical' and is that the EU isn't a country there shouldn't need an ambassador. I'd ask two questions:

1. Why is the UK position unique in the World? Every other country with an EU ambassador grants them full privileges and understand their ambit is EU competencies i.e. trade deals.

2. If the UK doesn't think the EU needs ambassadors why has the UK sent an ambassador to the EU?

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
“Populists depend on enemies, real or imagined, to legitimise their actions and deflect from their own shortcomings.” Johnson & Co. have developed their own peculiar brand of divide and rule chaos theory.
“If the EU was the “enemy abroad” since 2016, it will steadily be replaced by “enemies within”: MPs, civil servants, judges, lawyers, experts, the BBC.”

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
“Populists depend on enemies, real or imagined, to legitimise their actions and deflect from their own shortcomings.” Johnson & Co. have developed their own peculiar brand of divide and rule chaos theory.
“If the EU was the “enemy abroad” since 2016, it will steadily be replaced by “enemies within”: MPs, civil servants, judges, lawyers, experts, the BBC.”
It's started already - Immigrants, the unemployed, disabled, sportsmen with a social conscience................................................

Angularity 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If the UK position is 'logical' and is that the EU isn't a country there shouldn't need an ambassador. I'd ask two questions:

1. Why is the UK position unique in the World? Every other country with an EU ambassador grants them full privileges and understand their ambit is EU competencies i.e. trade deals.

2. If the UK doesn't think the EU needs ambassadors why has the UK sent an ambassador to the EU?
1. Why should the UK follow everyone else? If your neighbours think your curtains are ugly, does that impose some obligation on you to buy new ones? Other countries can make their own decisions, and good for them.

2. We don't have an ambassador to the EU. We have a Head of Mission.

It seems that it's all down to the technical definition of what is an ambassador and what isn't. Contrast the government position regarding the EU with that regarding the USA:

Amari 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It's started already - Immigrants, the unemployed, disabled, sportsmen with a social conscience................................................
What sickens me is that the present and previous PM were at Eton, clad in tails and top hats. Personal beliefs and philosophies are surely established while we are children. I cannot reconcile their upbringing with their appreciation of the current plight of the disadvantaged.

domino 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
1. Why should the UK follow everyone else? If your neighbours think your curtains are ugly, does that impose some obligation on you to buy new ones? Other countries can make their own decisions, and good for them.

2. We don't have an ambassador to the EU. We have a Head of Mission.

It seems that it's all down to the technical definition of what is an ambassador and what isn't. Contrast the government position regarding the EU with that regarding the USA:

It doesn't come down to a technical definition is comes down to what happens in the real world. They are all called missions, include the several in the USA.

Croisdale-Appleby has full ambassadorial credentials. Something extended to every other ambassador to the EU, and reciprocated by every other country in the World.

But, if people in the UK want to keep painting the EU as a pantomime villain I guess that's up to them.

mbc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
If people in the UK want to keep thinking that the EU can do no wrong, I guess that's up to them.
I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks the eu can do no wrong, but on the upside it's provided peace and prosperity for an unprecedented long time to an historically argumentative bunch.

Last edited:

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
If people in the UK want to keep thinking that the EU can do no wrong, I guess that's up to them.

Anyone who thinks any country/trading bloc/union of countries can do no wrong is seriously naive or deluded.

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On this, the day when we remember the Holocaust, it's at least good to think that we will never again face the situation we had in Europe only a generation ago, whether we are in or out of Europe a difference was made.

There is a generation now, so far removed from that conflict, that we need to remind occasionally what our parents achieved in order to bring an order to something that had been sorely inflicted upon us by a nation that were sucked into a Eutopian view of society that required the death of millions to achieve.

I will be lighting one of my beeswax candles in the window tonight to remember and honour the six million or so innocents that were exterminated by the Nazis.

There is still genocide being quietly carried out in some parts of the world .. we should hope and entreat that the collective nations of the world will be prepared to stand up to those countries who perpertrate these crimes against humanity on sections of their population.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks the eu can do no wrong, but on the upside it's provided peace and prosperity for an unprecedented long time to an historically argumentative bunch.
Come on you really can’t credit the EU for peace in Europe and no serious historians do. The EU was formed in 93 the Berlin Wall fell in 89. When ethnic cleansing was going on in Kosovo in 98 it was the US and Uk under NATO that led and went in not the EU. You could more logically argue it was perhaps the common market in 57 that’s brought more prosperity and stopped the Germans walking into France when the notion took them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts