Boston Bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
How is that an example of a United Kingdom
In most practical senses, NI is no longer part of the UK but rather part of Ireland. Which, given its location, seems sensible. The referendum on reunification will no doubt follow in a few years, and will I suspect be approved.

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
In most practical senses, NI is no longer part of the UK but rather part of Ireland. Which, given its location, seems sensible. The referendum on reunification will no doubt follow in a few years, and will I suspect be approved.
I think many will oppose that!

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
NI has been royally stitched up in this Brexit agreement...

...I guess that we could say this is all a natural consequence of not wanting a fence along the border, and if that's what the people of NI regard as their priority, then so be it. It helps that most people in GB couldn't care less about NI.
I think you will find that "a fence" was ruled out by the Good Friday Agreement, an international treaty signed by the UK. Rather than break the treaty and become a pariah state, the UK chose the current fudge. Neither of which were wanted by the people of NI, having voted to remain in the EU.

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
Just received an email from bee equipment advertising the fact that they are allowed to import packages and queens from Italy from today!

Amari 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just received an email from bee equipment advertising the fact that they are allowed to import packages and queens from Italy from today!
Any danger of importing the small hive beetle (hope I've named the correct pest)?

Angularity 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Was it possible to import queens twenty years ago, or did this only become possible thanks to the EU?

Angularity 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think you will find that "a fence" was ruled out by the Good Friday Agreement, an international treaty signed by the UK. Rather than break the treaty and become a pariah state, the UK chose the current fudge. Neither of which were wanted by the people of NI, having voted to remain in the EU.
The UK and Ireland could have changed the terms of the Agreement if there had been mutual consent. There wasn't, and we can thank Mr. Varadka for that. But that's all water under the bridge. The challenge is dealing with where we are now. not re-heating a thousand 'if only's.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have an idea that the BE website message confirming availability of imports was on there last year and guess that they haven't updated it. Rang just now to check but their phone lines operate 9am-3pm.
The email seems to be rather specific that this is a new thing but from the tone of it, it might be that they are hoping to be able to supply as they say "Should legislation change, full refunds or alternative products will be offered"
I suspect they are touting for business in the hope of supplying.

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The email seems to be rather specific that this is a new thing but from the tone of it, it might be that they are hoping to be able to supply as they say "Should legislation change, full refunds or alternative products will be offered"
I suspect they are touting for business in the hope of supplying.
As of today the regulations allow us to import bees from Italy.
I don't think so.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As of today the regulations allow us to import bees from Italy.
I don't think so.
Like I say, maybe they are working on the fact that if you have paid the deposit you will take an alternative product offered. Big risk tho.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I have an idea that the BE website message confirming availability of imports was on there last year and guess that they haven't updated it. Rang just now to check but their phone lines operate 9am-3pm.
It was a fresh email sent out this afternoon

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The UK and Ireland could have changed the terms of the Agreement if there had been mutual consent. There wasn't, and we can thank Mr. Varadka for that. But that's all water under the bridge. The challenge is dealing with where we are now. not re-heating a thousand 'if only's.
That was not possible under the terms of the withdrawal agreement:

Both Parties affirm that the achievements, benefits and commitments of the peace
process will remain of paramount importance to peace, stability and reconciliation.
They agree that the Good Friday or Belfast Agreement reached on 10 April 1998 by
the United Kingdom Government, the Irish Government and the other participants in
the multi-party negotiations (the '1998 Agreement') must be protected in all its parts,
and that this extends to the practical application of the 1998 Agreement on the island
of Ireland and to the totality of the relationships set out in the Agreement.
(Joint report from the negotiators of the European Union and the
United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of
negotiations under Article 50 TEU on the United Kingdom's orderly
withdrawal from the European Union)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts