Not open for further replies.

Angry_Mob 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
Package of bees and full colonies are now banned for import into the UK....

However I'm struggling to think what would be stopping someone bringing in packages of bees from the continent via Rosslare or Dublin, being delivered to an address in NI, import notified to DAERA and then shipped again via Belfast or Larne and delivered in GB.

Into the lions den 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
smith
Number of Hives
>4000
Had further clarification last night from Scottish Govt...really annoying after getting contrary advice only two days earlier.

Yes...the responses from Jon Getty are correct. Northern Ireland IS a third country for us sending queens that way, as is the Republic.

Northern Ireland is able to trade freely with the Republic as both are considered inside the single market.

Northern Ireland is free to trade freely with us due to the special arrangement...but not us with them.

So...seems like yes...you can get your NI queens in as normal.

More alarmingly for those of us who have been following both the letter and the spirit of the rules...the back door IS open to these grey area imports of packages, so those planning this route have outmanoeuvered us all. Find this out the day after we cancel this years package shipments at a big loss to both myself and my partners. Hats off to them...they have been cleverer than us.

Once they enter N Ireland there is no restriction on them being sold into the UK.

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Package of bees and full colonies are now banned for import into the UK....

However I'm struggling to think what would be stopping someone bringing in packages of bees from the continent via Rosslare or Dublin, being delivered to an address in NI, import notified to DAERA and then shipped again via Belfast or Larne and delivered in GB.
Err...the law?

mbc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Had further clarification last night from Scottish Govt...really annoying after getting contrary advice only two days earlier.

Yes...the responses from Jon Getty are correct. Northern Ireland IS a third country for us sending queens that way, as is the Republic.

Northern Ireland is able to trade freely with the Republic as both are considered inside the single market.

Northern Ireland is free to trade freely with us due to the special arrangement...but not us with them.

So...seems like yes...you can get your NI queens in as normal.

More alarmingly for those of us who have been following both the letter and the spirit of the rules...the back door IS open to these grey area imports of packages, so those planning this route have outmanoeuvered us all. Find this out the day after we cancel this years package shipments at a big loss to both myself and my partners. Hats off to them...they have been cleverer than us.

Once they enter N Ireland there is no restriction on them being sold into the UK.
Cherbourg to rosslare wouldn't add much to the migration.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Err...the law?
The real downfall of any government trying to create laws is the inability to think along the same lines as law breakers.
Not in my opinion. There are two overwhelming problems with chlorine treated poultry. First the treatment interferes with accurate microbiological testing for bacteria meaning that infected meat which should be destroyed enters the food chain because the testing fails to detect the presence of harmful pathogens. The second is that permitting chlorine treatment potentially opens a pandoras box in respect of differentiating poultry reared under best practice high standards and poultry raised under poor hygeinic standards. This would just create conditions for a race to the bottom.

What keeps infection rates down is high food standards where you don't need chlorine treatment because it adds no benefit which is where we are/were but are at risk of HMG sacrificing to save economic face.

Well perhaps a little more care with how you word things might help to avoid sending the wrong message:

Markthebuilder 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I have only one source but it seems official and accurate. It is reported that Dutch customs officials confiscated the ham sandwiches [and other foodstuffs] of in-bound hauliers while making remarks along the lines of 'Welcome to Brexit, Sir'. I loved the Dutch, I lived there for two years and found them to be an intelligent and affable people (and so tall!) but this is beyond the pale and smacks very much of spite because we left the EU. I am saddened and disappointed by the Dutch attitude and sadly expect it to be widespread across Europe. We bent over backwards to find a deal in the EU and I truly wish we had gone with no-deal now as this entrenched attitude is only going to get worse and we have given away fishing rights, plus many other things, for nothing and are being rewarded by obfuscation and obstruction in all things European. I did vote out and am one of the many people who thought it wouldn't happen and only wanted to give the stodgy Euro Parliament a bloody nose -- bit of a failed plan there -- but if Cameron had come back from Europe with something, anything, that would give us back even a hint of sovereignty, I would have voted remain, but the EU were obdurate and he was useless, so we left. As with COVID, [our relationship with] Europe will get a lot worse before it gets better. So sad, and so unnecessary.

Edit: It is now all over the news.
Rightly so I am afraid . The foot and mouth epidemic of 2001 actualy started just a mile or too from my home and probebly caused by farmer routinely feeding pigs kitchen wast . Some say it was a wagon driver throwing a part eaten ham sandwich out of his window when parked on the layby.
The enquirey DID FIND That the most likley cause of the virus entering uk was in food stuff contained in personal luggage of travelers.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Rightly so I am afraid . The foot and mouth epidemic of 2001 actualy started just a mile or too from my home and probebly caused by farmer routinely feeding pigs kitchen wast . Some say it was a wagon driver throwing a part eaten ham sandwich out of his window when parked on the layby.
The enquirey DID FIND That the most likley cause of the virus entering uk was in food stuff contained in personal luggage of travelers.
Can't recall the exact year but there was an outbreak in the late 60s which sticks in my mind because travelling up from coventry to Doncaster saw traffic having to drive through disinfectant soaked straw as it crossed county boundaries.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I have only one source but it seems official and accurate. It is reported that Dutch customs officials confiscated the ham sandwiches [and other foodstuffs] of in-bound hauliers while making remarks along the lines of 'Welcome to Brexit, Sir'. I loved the Dutch, I lived there for two years and found them to be an intelligent and affable people (and so tall!) but this is beyond the pale and smacks very much of spite because we left the EU. I am saddened and disappointed by the Dutch attitude and sadly expect it to be widespread across Europe. We bent over backwards to find a deal in the EU and I truly wish we had gone with no-deal now as this entrenched attitude is only going to get worse and we have given away fishing rights, plus many other things, for nothing and are being rewarded by obfuscation and obstruction in all things European. I did vote out and am one of the many people who thought it wouldn't happen and only wanted to give the stodgy Euro Parliament a bloody nose -- bit of a failed plan there -- but if Cameron had come back from Europe with something, anything, that would give us back even a hint of sovereignty, I would have voted remain, but the EU were obdurate and he was useless, so we left. As with COVID, [our relationship with] Europe will get a lot worse before it gets better. So sad, and so unnecessary.
Edit: It is now all over the news.
During that outbreak we were taking two of our cutters over to Gorinchem in the Netherlands, to live on whilst we were decommissioning them and commissioning their replacements. The last Job we had to do before leaving Lowestoft was to gather up all the dairy and meat products and leave them ashore to be collected and disposed of as contaminated waste
So it's not the first time the Netherlands have taken this step - and that was when we were both in the EU

ladybee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Not true, was from porterdown research laboratory, by means of the drains. And spread like wildfire due to mass incompetence of Mr Blairs government. The farmer used as a scapegoat was never prosecuted being a complete lie.
And the EU refused full compensation because of this.

ladybee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Can't recall the exact year but there was an outbreak in the late 60s which sticks in my mind because travelling up from coventry to Doncaster saw traffic having to drive through disinfectant soaked straw as it crossed county boundaries.
That's right "1967" if memory serves me right. Was spread unwittingly by a vet visiting farms on his round. And was contained and eradicated with out much fuss unlike the last outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.