Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

ShinySideUp 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have only one source but it seems official and accurate. It is reported that Dutch customs officials confiscated the ham sandwiches [and other foodstuffs] of in-bound hauliers while making remarks along the lines of 'Welcome to Brexit, Sir'. I loved the Dutch, I lived there for two years and found them to be an intelligent and affable people (and so tall!) but this is beyond the pale and smacks very much of spite because we left the EU. I am saddened and disappointed by the Dutch attitude and sadly expect it to be widespread across Europe. We bent over backwards to find a deal in the EU and I truly wish we had gone with no-deal now as this entrenched attitude is only going to get worse and we have given away fishing rights, plus many other things, for nothing and are being rewarded by obfuscation and obstruction in all things European. I did vote out and am one of the many people who thought it wouldn't happen and only wanted to give the stodgy Euro Parliament a bloody nose -- bit of a failed plan there -- but if Cameron had come back from Europe with something, anything, that would give us back even a hint of sovereignty, I would have voted remain, but the EU were obdurate and he was useless, so we left. As with COVID, [our relationship with] Europe will get a lot worse before it gets better. So sad, and so unnecessary.

Edit: It is now all over the news.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There are jobsworthz everywhere ... the cause was cooked meats which are a prohibited import intothe EU .. if I had been the lorry driver it would have been down my throat before it caused a problem ..

.I had a pork pie, a german garlic sausag and a bottle of Scotch confiscated once when flying into Sierra Leone as they contravened their 'hygiene regulations' ... and this was a country where the water when it ran came out brown and open sewers ran down the edge of the streets from the higher parts of Freetown ... I'm sure the bloke who confiscated my emergency rations tucked into them as soon as I was through customs.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow ....

Fritillary 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
I keep telling myself to try not to react to snippets in the media at the moment, as it so often seems to turn out that the actual story was less of an irritant than the press portrays or only the most extreme was reported. And Brexit isn't helping Dutch plant and bulb producers at all, from what I gather...

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It’s the Dutch that are operating the super trawlers in the Channel though.

Thought they were a chilled nation, but it seems modern weed does lead to paranoia.....

mbc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Erm, haven't we just spoiled the European project for everyone for the selfish needs of a very few?
I imagine there'll be considerable ill feeling for quite some time.
We can only hope not all British people get tarred by the hard right brexit brush in the eyes of our neighbours.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Isn't it strange that when you get what you wanted you don't like what you end up with.
All that has happened is that the UK has taken a forty year backwards step. We never used to be allowed to take cooked meats into Holland, nor plants and various other things. I think its really quite funny really to listen to and hear about the english getting upset about the results they wanted and brought about.

Goran 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Err.. one beek who doesn't know what he wants but nevertheless kept banging on injustice on some other beekeeping forum.. when asked what, he couldn't tell what he really wants, just blah blah blah.. The other patient beek told him: " Listen, You don't want it even in the way You want". He meant: ZIP IT..

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
<snip>
I imagine there'll be considerable ill feeling for quite some time.
<snip>
Absolute s**t show. I now have to fill out commercial invoices and arrange for customs brokerage for every shipment of medicines to hospitals in Northern Ireland because of the so called non existent border down the Irish sea. It's adding at least fifteen minutes per consignment so will cost more in admin meaning higher medicines costs and fewer UK patients treated for the same tax pound.

ShinySideUp 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Absolute s**t show. I now have to fill out commercial invoices and arrange for customs brokerage for every shipment of medicines to hospitals in Northern Ireland because of the so called non existent border down the Irish sea.
The IRA must be quite annoyed about the effort they put in when all they had to do was wait. They spent decades trying to separate Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK and now we've done it for them.

HughMann 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Dutch are simply keeping to the rules. You try taking virtually any food items into Australia and you will get exactly the same response. You can't have your cake and eat it. In this case you can't have your ham sandwich and take it across the border.

rook66 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Isn't it strange that when you get what you wanted you don't like what you end up with.
All that has happened is that the UK has taken a forty year backwards step. We never used to be allowed to take cooked meats into Holland, nor plants and various other things. I think its really quite funny really to listen to and hear about the english getting upset about the results they wanted and brought abo
Absolute s**t show. I now have to fill out commercial invoices and arrange for customs brokerage for every shipment of medicines to hospitals in Northern Ireland because of the so called non existent border down the Irish sea. It's adding at least fifteen minutes per consignment so will cost more in admin meaning higher medicines costs and fewer UK patients treated for the same tax pound.
Yeah, life really is a piece of shit!

Into the lions den 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
smith
Number of Hives
>4000
We have been doing these things for ages......as soon as it is turned back on us they scream foul.....

Its our govt who have told the Europeans they are not good enough for us. You need a visa and work permits etc etc........the rules the Brits have put on for all manner of things coming here are ridiculous. We are wilfully imposing 'third country' rules on all EU exports to us.

Try reading (I have to..its my job to know) the new UK rules for 'Products of Animal Origin'. It is a vast document..complicated...bureacratic....and a real PITA to work with. Tit for tat? It is just Brexit linked politics, and the push back against them........will get worse before it gets better.

We are suffering in this place now from a lack of true leadership....all that matters is the voting intentions of their key cohort of the public......so we get vaguely Trumpish populist government. They do not decide until the focus groups have spoken......do we ned a lockdown? Yes. Do we get one? No, not until enough public opinion is behind it. Then claim leadership...nope..they are op[nion followers.

There are votes in being tough on foreigners, benefit claimants, criminals(particularly if not UK born), foreigners, foreign products, defending sovereignty (the model that died out half a century or more ago). I could go on...probably for about 150 pages......

That our rules are being reciprocated is not a surprise. FWIW, a lorry driver from Serbia coming here to deliver frames had his sausages taken from him at Calais in December...before all this took place...not EU I know...but WE do it too.

The loss of MY freedoms in 26 countries...and the serious barriers to my business...rankle with me and probably always will.

Last edited:

Firefly 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
A half-share in 3...ish
I recommend Jonathan Jones, the fine arts correspondent, in today's Guardian - writing about the life and work of Goya during the strangling of the Enlightenment by the Spanish Inquisition. It was one of his works, apparently, that coined the term "the sleep of reason". While you are there, try the report in the sports pages about Megan Rapinhoe (I hope I spelled it right) - brilliant soccer player - whose analysis of what went on at the Capitol is more incisive and alert than anything I've read in the politics pages. If only she could be president and Rashford could be PM, maybe we could get the world back to some kind of sanity and compassion

benjamind 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have only one source but it seems official and accurate. It is reported that Dutch customs officials confiscated the ham sandwiches [and other foodstuffs] of in-bound hauliers while making remarks along the lines of 'Welcome to Brexit, Sir'.
Perfectly within their rights and dare say proper and correct now the UK is no longer part of the EU.

Latest posts