European Foul Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambofood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all,

new to this site, so hello!

Sorry that my first post has to be this one, but have just had email notification from DEFRA inspector that 2 cases of EFB have been positively IDd in Harrogate. Apparently brought in on respected/inspected stock from SE England.

S'all. I have literally just driven past a swarm settling in a hedge on way back from meeting (me, not them), so am now itching for the clock hands to get to finishing time so that I can whizz out with skep and bring em in! Bet they've got bored and buzzed off!

B

just to follow up, just seen stu h's post, so sorry if this is repeating whats already known, and Stu, if this was you then very sorry to hear that. Just starting out myself, so must be a right blow.

Hi Lambo,

Yep its me, i'm absolutley gutted at the outcome as i've ben looking into beekeeping for years but have only been given the chance this year.

All was well researched and I looked into several suppliers choosing the one from Norfolk due to a very convincing sales pitch. I've had the bees home for nearly 5 weeks and have been landed with this. The bee inspector has been top draw and very understanding, so the bees are now condemned and will be totally disposed of by Sunday.

I'm just very sorry for those in my locality and hope that my bees haven't spread any infection.

Stu H

I'm just very sorry for those in my locality and hope that my bees haven't spread any infection.

I don't think you have anything to be sorry about... These things happen, as long as you haven't feed them with tainted honey the blame is with the supplier. Let us know what happens as no doubt other have also bought from this supplier and they will need to be tested as well.

Good luck :cheers2:

Well lets hope that you have told the bee inspector where they came from.
I also hope that he does the decent thing and see's that you are put right.
Should this not happen perhaps you might like to tell us who it is so that he is not used in the future, but hopefully he will see you right.
I wish you well, keep us posted.
Regards,
Stephen.

I've not been put right, there has been email to'ing and fro'ing all day with no resolution. I now believe i'm just being fobbed off! I've been offered all sorts:-

1) Replacement bee's from an apparently clean hive some 300 miles from my home, collection at my expense.
2) A continental queen to increase my colonies strength. How does that work?
3) A shook swarming course to turn one hive into two. I know nothing about this!

All I want is my money back, I paid a fortune for what I received and everyone who has seen what I received recons i've been done over! I just dont want to deal with the original supplier as he assured me that my bee's were disease free and in the end this turned out not to be the case. The original sales pitch is now weak as I have met several beekeepers and a very good DEFRA inspector who has put it all into perspective!

I'm a very new novice beekeeper who wants to keep it simple. All I want is a disease free colony that I can learn with and expand at a realistic pace. It sound simple but the supplier is now making it very difficult.

I'll keep you posted.

thats just wrong dont be put off by that one the rest of us are nice. and fobbing off a new beek with that wants his/her head in a bee hive. well i hope it wont put you off keeping bees and i would read up on all the diseases bees can get so that it wont happen again

I've not been put right, there has been email to'ing and fro'ing all day with no resolution. I now believe i'm just being fobbed off! I've been offered all sorts:-

1) Replacement bee's from an apparently clean hive some 300 miles from my home, collection at my expense.
2) A continental queen to increase my colonies strength. How does that work?
3) A shook swarming course to turn one hive into two. I know nothing about this!

All I want is my money back, I paid a fortune for what I received and everyone who has seen what I received recons i've been done over! I just dont want to deal with the original supplier as he assured me that my bee's were disease free and in the end this turned out not to be the case. The original sales pitch is now weak as I have met several beekeepers and a very good DEFRA inspector who has put it all into perspective!

I'm a very new novice beekeeper who wants to keep it simple. All I want is a disease free colony that I can learn with and expand at a realistic pace. It sound simple but the supplier is now making it very difficult.

I'll keep you posted.

Have a read of this.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/SGAknowyourrights/

Read the section
" What happens if there is a dispute that the goods were faulty at the time of sale? "

You should already have the required expert advice from the inspector or you can log on to the website and print it off. If the seller wishes to dispute the findings he can but he would put his operation under the spot light.

Hi Stu,

b**GER, sorry to hear that. If you would like a hive, you are welcome to take on my alquaeda wanna be nutters. They swarmed about a month ago and have got progressively more violent since then. Have tried to re-queen without success, and when looking them over this evening it was like a scene out of the swarm. The little merchant bankers found a tiny gap in my suit and i got 7 stings on my throat and numerous others around my face and one far too near the family jewels for comfort!

Good luck for your future bee adventures, I hope this bad experience doesn't put you off.

Latest posts

Back