Euphoria and disaster

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you know with cling film you have to peal it of slowly...
I have a 20 lb bucket of the damn stuf what could I do with it cook with it make honey cake?
My better half likes the crust of honey buckets saying its the best part of the honey.
I find it’s better pinching the middle quickly.
You should sell the crud with a short shelf life 2 months and instructions to keep in fridge.
I agree with your Mrs. It’s the best part

Thank you so much for that in depth explanation, we will definitely take your advice,so is this spinner typically for deeps or langstroths and not national supers?
No. It takes both. There is a knack to spinning full frames tangentially as has been described. That’s all you did wrong. Stan did exactly the same when he tried to “help”. So he is now banned

No. It takes both. There is a knack to spinning full frames tangentially as has been described. That’s all you did wrong. Stan did exactly the same when he tried to “help”. So he is now banned
Any chance next time you are extracting could you send a little clip so I can see the speed you apply and how the frame sits in the extractor please

Any chance next time you are extracting could you send a little clip so I can see the speed you apply and how the frame sits in the extractor please
PM markthebuilder ? He has the same spinner. My electric one is a radial and the hand spinner is a four frame

foil works in much the same way as cling film warming the honey first,
it needs to be thin stuff though, what is beekeepers honey mainly wax particuls.
We had some honey and it had lots of this on top I didn't have any cling film so I used foil instead I lay the foil down on top of a 5 litre jug that was in a water bath and I put foil on top it pealed of much the same as cling film, probably not as good but it stuck to itView attachment 27443

So you place foil on top of the honey and peel off?
Never tried it that's why I asked....I figured it would be difficult to get the foil over all the honey right to the sides of the bucket but I shall give it a go
So the above was my reply to your first sentence then you added the rest AFTER my post
So you mean the thin stuff like gold foil? Yes that would work admirably. I think most of us are more likely to have cling film though

I didn't have any cling film so I used foil instead I lay the foil down on top of a 5 litre jug that was in a water bath and I put foil on top it pealed of much the same as cling film, probably not as good but it stuck to it
Not very practical is it? unless you're only expecting a crop of half a bucketful a year, and even then it's going to take ages

Thank you so much for that in depth explanation, we will definitely take your advice,so is this spinner typically for deeps or langstroths and not national supers?

I suspect it is simply a design to maximise the market, and using standard parts as said if you can get the frame or frames in it will work…
If you have problems extracting any given size frame try putting it in a strong reusable shopping bag (after decapping the cells) tie some string to the handels and then swing it around your head….. rough and ready but I have cleanse out some 14x12 brood frames of syrup to make space for the queen to lay that way.

That honey looks amazing, the depth of colour is lovely. Not planning to sell any, I don't think we'll have enough to supply the family and friends until next year but it's been fun having so many offers
Nothing better than your first honey it's memorable and worth holding on to.. Well at least one jar for keep sake!
I don't have any of our first honey :( but have kept a small 8 oz jar of each extraction since.

No idea how this compares to others but it's the best example I've got. Force varies depending on viscosity of honey though... Kinda do it by feel and go slow, gradually increase speed until you see the drops hitting the sides of the extractor, then maintain for a bit before rotating as others have said.

Attachments

• 20210624_212147.mp4
    28.6 MB
No idea how this compares to others but it's the best example I've got. Force varies depending on viscosity of honey though... Kinda do it by feel and go slow, gradually increase speed until you see the drops hitting the sides of the extractor, then maintain for a bit before rotating as others have said.
Making sure the frames are warm and extracting in a warm room helps too.

Brilliant thank you

What's brood comb honey got to do with beekeepers honey?

Might be my misunderstanding .
I extracted and pressed some honey from some old combs out of brood box’s, it was dark scummy had lots of pollen wax etc in. I jard the lot it straight away and told the kids it was beekeepers honey and not for selling.. they love it but it’s a bit strong for me?????

If beekeepers honey has a formal definition I would be interested to know.

I extracted and pressed some honey from some old combs out of brood box’s, it was dark scummy had lots of pollen wax etc in. I jard the lot it straight away and told the kids it was beekeepers honey and not for selling.. they love it but it’s a bit strong for me?????

Beekeeper's honey as far as I'm aware is just the wax and scum of the tops of your buckets only @Erichalfbee do you still have a photo dani of the beekeepers honey that was for sale at the show?.
My better half says it the best part of the honey it's very rich and once sived through properly it's actually a nice taste.
Did you see my photo earlier in the thread @Markthebuilder

No formal definition. Once you have skimmed your honey tip the stuff into a jar and voila.
We’ve all done that as long as we’ve kept bees; kept the unsellable stuff for ourselves.
I simply happened upon an enterprising outfit at a county show selling it at a premium.
No photographs needed. We all know what it looks like.

No formal definition. Once you have skimmed your honey tip the stuff into a jar and voila.
We’ve all done that as long as we’ve kept bees; kept the unsellable stuff for ourselves.
I simply happened upon an enterprising outfit at a county show selling it at a premium.
No photographs needed. We all know what it looks like.
There's a whole thread about it somewhere on here .... complete with photos.

Perhaps we need a definition. So we can formally label it. Ie ….

Beekeepers honey:-
Traditionaly keeptback from sale by beekeepers for their own use.
May contain royal jelly , pollen or pollen from rare plants, a grater level of raw protein, propolis and wax to give added texture. Renowned amongst beekeepers for its distinct flavour and health boosting qualities

Got to be worth as much as makuna

Back