Eton/Harrow/Winchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.
My parents were not rich.

How come you ended up with HMG when you could have been on the stage?
A combination of reasons culminating on an on the spot decision (admittedly in retrospect rash) when Michael Croft Called me offering me the role of Owain Glyndŵr which was scheduled to be shown in London that September (he had been impressed by my Falstaff NYT audition piece the year before).
My mother was a widow struggling to raise a family of three (I was the eldest, sixteen/seventeen at the time) and to play in the NYT needed funds for accommodation, travel, meals etc. so, rather taken aback at the offer I politely turned it down thinking it was unfair to ask my family and various local organisations to once more support a much longer stay in London.
acting was very much a closed shop at the time and the chances of getting an equity card was very slim, even with two family friends (Hywel Bennet and his brother Alun) willing to support my application and the fact I had a few film industry awards under my belt after playing the title role in the first (short) film that director Mark Evans had produced.
Same reason as I left further education and found a secure but humdrum job in DVLA I suppose - paying my own way seemed to be a bigger priority.
Luckily a random decision fuelled by the pull of the Bristol Royal Infirmary nurse's home (or at least certain occupants of that august building) made me take a post with HM Customs in the city centre resulting in me being awarded my Commission and hence the career I followed as an officer on Her Majesty's Customs Cutters

Which one?
I used to work in Windsor and had a good few lunches at The House on the Bridge just across the river.
Winchester Cathedral on a city break
Harrow used to be on my route to visit my mum before the M25 was built so I drove through plenty of times but I must admit I never got out of the car.

My ex-brother-in-law has been at Eton for about 30 years, or more - but possibly retired now. Head of the catering department - if that is what they call it nowadays.

My junior school teacher came from Harrow. She took us there on a school outing once.

Only passed by Winchester on few occasions.

Went to Stowe one day a year for a few years - to t(h)rash their rugby team (NOT their first fifteen!). At least OUR school was “Royal”.

Anyone on here been to Eton,Harrow or Winchester?

No explanation of why you want to know?

In other circumstances I wouldnt care less but I do find the unsolicited information grab strange coming from someone who appears to have major issues with other forms of information collection.

I used to work in Windsor and had a good few lunches at The House on the Bridge just across the river.
Winchester Cathedral on a city break
Harrow used to be on my route to visit my mum before the M25 was built so I drove through plenty of times but I must admit I never got out of the car.
When my mother and drama teacher came up to watch see me at the NYT workshop, aunty Meiros took us on a sightseeing trip to Harrow school. It amused me to read the painted board in the hall which was put up at the school's founding and the statement that it was a school for orphans and children too poor to pay for their education.
Unlike know when it's just children with a poor excuse for an education who get by with just influence.

Last edited:
No explanation of why you want to know?

In other circumstances I wouldnt care less but I do find the unsolicited information grab strange coming from someone who appears to have major issues with other forms of information collection.

Who put 20 pence in you? 😂

I was referring to the schools there, if anyone had attended. I was just looking for perhaps someones experiences, the good and the bad.

Who put 20 pence in you? 😂

I was referring to the schools there, if anyone had attended. I was just looking for perhaps someones experiences, the good and the bad.
I would be surprised if anybody gave you a sensible answer
And yet Drewdrew has risen to the occasion.
I suspect this thread is heading for the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Going back to My aunty Meiros - before the war she would sometimes help out her aunt at the Harrow tuckshop. It was horrible when the kids came in she told me, the kids were loud, rude, totally lacking in manners and would steal anything they could get their hands on if her back was turned.
Looks like they started life as they meant to go on................

I went to the comp over the river from Eton, in Windsor. Used to use their rowing facilities from time to time. Different planet.

Going back to My aunty Meiros - before the war she would sometimes help out her aunt at the Harrow tuckshop. It was horrible when the kids came in she told me, the kids were loud, rude, totally lacking in manners and would steal anything they could get their hands on if her back was turned.
Looks like they started life as they meant to go on................

To be fair though most standard schools are like that these days , I was hoping that Winchester would put emphasis on manners , that being their motto.

Latest posts

Back