Estimating colony from foragers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP here: all useful contributions and good to read, thanks to all. I was especially interested in the BB series of pics by Eyeman as it shows great acceleration and change over the winter months. Sadly mine are not in a position to grow so fast but do keep a pictorial record of every BB check I do, thought I tend not to leave BB in permanently as the hive support is well protected from weather and breeze. SO it is just when I count drop to consider vaping... and after a vape. BUT I will now put BB in for a few days just for the extra information as I have always believed I can learn a lot by close observation of that alone, given I am also someone on the "leave them to their instincts" end of the spectrum! Don't know why I had not already done that really...

I have them on a small 2cm entrance and I guess if they do not pick up soon robbing will be the next issue. I hope that (as birdsandbees suggested) they are indeed busy rearing brood and about to appear in greater strength.

I wondered if a small colony would be working harder to keep warm (more outside cold bees with relatively less warm inside bees in a small group) and ageing that bit faster, so earlier reduction in winter bees...

If I had multiple hives (or other source of bees) I guess I would have a choice of adding a frame of brood and some nurse bees when they day for opening action comes.

Last edited:
(OP) Went to put in BB and tidy up the observation tile below the door when a house bee dropped with a rather malformed pupa. About 16-17 days my guess. Seems half brain missing, or eaten?
Also are the wings normally stubby like that around that period? (last pic clearest on wing)
The link allows view of 5 shots...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgn99giodzofofs/AACDmPXCLQlQatWKVEwsCagBa?dl=0

Luckily it seems the only one so far, no others found!
Will make it a post of its own to ask for information!....

Last edited:
What challenge ?

Putting something that kills little mites into a colony of small insects has to be regarded as a 'necessary evil' for the bees. The fact that an overdose of the stuff will kill bees too is enough evidence to me that vaping is a challenge to the wellbeing of bees.

The fact that an overdose of the stuff will kill bees too is enough evidence to me that vaping is a challenge to the wellbeing of bees.

Oxalic vapor gentle on the bees and brood, even with repeated doses, even doing way over the recommended dose.

The fact that an overdose of the stuff will kill bees too is enough evidence to me that vaping is a challenge to the wellbeing of bees.

Direct me to the paper that says an 'overdose' of oxalic sublimate is harmful to the bees.

in tests, they have pumped in waaay more than the 'optimal' dose needed - with no negative effect to the bees.

Trickled OA is a different matter, but still not much evidence of lethality

Putting something that kills little mites into a colony of small insects has to be regarded as a 'necessary evil' for the bees. The fact that an overdose of the stuff will kill bees too is enough evidence to me that vaping is a challenge to the wellbeing of bees.

I was having a similar discussion on another forum about the effect of OA on bees and brood and I'd be interested in any evidence you have. Logically, you'd think that there could be a problem but I've seen no evidence - have you?

CVB

That sounds like whirling words.

Wellbeing bees will be soon full of mites and die.

To avoid overdosing follow the treatment recipe.

Well thank you gents for putting me right. One of my colonies had a bad experience with my trickling the first time I did it, that's all I'm going on. I'm reassured to hear that vaping is safer.

I think we need to be more aware of queen and drone fertility when it comes to mitecides .

I think we need to be more aware of queen and drone fertility when it comes to mitecides .

I agree, anything that has a known effect on the queen laying eggs may well have a longer term effect, that's why I personally wouldn't use MAQS and only treat with OA vaped, like many others have already stated, I've never seen any negative effects from using it and continue to see excellent results with queens mating.

During a presentation, I had an individual at my association who insisted that OA kills brood and was rudely prepared to argue and argue. He had 'done research'. I told him that research had been carried out years before he even thought about getting bees, by people far more qualified than him and that OA sublimation had been used successfully for ages.
Unfortunately, these overnight sensations love the lime light so the wrong message gets spread around, resulting in ineffective treatments. We have people treating with MAQS in October!

What kind of facts you have behind that assumption/idea?

Talking to very experienced beekeepers from my association and from other associations.
Bee farmers that have to replace queen's more often than they had to before varroa treatments were implemented.
Is this not of concern ??

During a presentation, I had an individual at my association who insisted that OA kills brood and was rudely prepared to argue and argue. He had 'done research'. I told him that research had been carried out years before he even thought about getting bees, by people far more qualified than him and that OA sublimation had been used successfully for ages.
Unfortunately, these overnight sensations love the lime light so the wrong message gets spread around, resulting in ineffective treatments. We have people treating with MAQS in October!

That message circulated around our association meetings. Either those in the know don't speak up or long ago stopped attending

Talking to very experienced beekeepers from my association and from other associations.
Bee farmers that have to replace queen's more often than they had to before varroa treatments were implemented.

There are lots of scientific evidences and professional experience from 30 years around the world.

What about not varroa treatments? In USA 50% dead rate of hives.

I have treated my hives 30 years. And I cannot say that treatment spoils queens. But I can say that mites kills lots of hives.

I do not trust much on " society truths". Like on USA, beekeepers do not even know which killed the hive, when varroa did it.

Bad weathers and too few mating days influence lots of renewing queens. How bee farmers make difference between mite treatments and weathers?

And most important, what if beekeepers do not treat? Now we live time when we must treat varroa.

That is not my concern. I have spare queens in nucs and I change Queen if something appears.

Last edited:

I have had "experienced beekeepers" tell me all sorts of things: viz: matchsticks are essential for ventilation, polyhives are no good, etc etc.

:paparazzi:

Back