Escape / clearer board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reentrant

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Has anyone ever come up with an escape board that you could control from the outside?

It just occurred to me how useful that would be; you could just flick a lever on the outside to "set" the escapes and you wouldn't have to disturb the stack at all.

All I could find was this but it's not clear it actually exists.

Can you offer a real life scenario where that contraption would be useful?

Yes - you've put some wet supers back for the bees to clean.
So in a day or so you have to go back, take the supers off, add a clearer board, put the supers back. Much easier to slide a lever ... you wouldn't even need to suit-up.

And yes I know some people just overwinter wet supers or would brush the bees off frame-by-frame.

Morris board, and the like, come to mind, but not as a clearer board, but not checking the boxes were clear, or not, of bees...... Waste of space and expense in my book.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with you Hivemaker, you just go on and on ........

He did answer the OP's question very succinctly?

I used to answer the question of 'How do you spell it?' by replying 'I...T'. Not very enlightening but a precise and accurate response to the question posed.

That's the trouble with you Hivemaker, you just go on and on ........

He did answer the OP's question very succinctly?

I used to answer the question of 'How do you spell it?' by replying 'I...T'. Not very enlightening but a precise and accurate response to the question posed.

I can believe that! bee-smillie

I picked up a good tip from the forum. When putting wet supers back for clearing, put them on top of a crown board with just a small space left for access. The bees will clear the supers as though they were robbing and the leave when they have finished the job.

I picked up a good tip from the forum. When putting wet supers back for clearing, put them on top of a crown board with just a small space left for access. The bees will clear the supers as though they were robbing and the leave when they have finished the job.

I have seen posts to that affect myself and tried it. Unfortunately my bees decided it would be a good idea to just start filling them up again even though there was space below the crown board in other supers. They also thought it would be fun to embellish there efforts with a little brace comb in the hole and fill that with a little honey as well!
They are little 'tinkers' at times!
I have done the frame swap which does work up to a point, but I'll finish off I think this time as 'ericA' suggested in her post, by feeding back above the board with a rapid feeder. Any left could be used for a batch of mead! (Sounds like a plan!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back