Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
UK wildlife is struggling to cope as erratic and unseasonal weather has taken its toll for a second consecutive year, the National Trust says.

• Bees were hit hard in April by frost and snow (I am sure Finman will have something to say about this! LOL)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7800869.stm

raysa 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The BBC story, like most human reflections on nature, is done from the perspective of the human desire for things to remain unchanged and within our understanding.

A more objective report of the same set of facts could start: "UK wildlife is adapting as always and will cope perfectly well, but humans find the changes unsettling."

Ray

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Raysa what do you expect for the cost of a licence fee ?

After paying 18 million pound for a childish dj who insults people on air they dont have much money left for real reporting.

AH well thats showbiz.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Well i did notice a change in the number of Blue tits reared successfully last year compaired to 2007 and 2006.

I have one of those nest boxes fitted with a camera, absolutely brilliant it is particularly if you are mad about wildlife.

I cant prove its the same pair nesting each year, but in 2006 all 10 chicks were raised and flew, 2007 was a success also, only 1 body found when cleaning out the box, whereas 2008 only 6 made it out the box, and all 11 eggs hatched.

Time taken for parents to return was noticeably longer, so maybe there is some truth in the report, they certainly found it harder to find food.

Latest posts