Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight_Beauty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, I have some old bits left from when my grandparents were alive and kept bees on their farm. I want to sell them on but I've no idea about prices or what everything is? I have what I've been told is a Nuc I thought it was a mini hive, a strainer, what looks like a viewing box and another thing that has mini nozzles underneath like the ones on the smoker. This is all old stuff and I think older than me at 30. I'd be really grateful if anyone can give me a little info before I stick it on ebay, thank you :)

Hi there!

I think the prices really depend on the condition and the belief that no disease is lurking. There was someone near me that stuck used stuff on ebay (I'd guess only a couple of years old) and it fetched about 2/3 of the price of new stuff, - I think because people trusted the sale and saw that the bits were in good condition, and made of good materials (not ply). I was surprised!

Clean it up, present well, describe well, don't expect a lot?

By the way, this may be the thing with mini-nozzles: National Canadian Clearer Board; may not be.

Kind regards,

Ana

You may wish to contact the Manchester and District BKA. One of their experienced beekeepers may be able to explain what you've got.

Each year there is a new crop of beekeepers in the MDBKA. One of the new beeks may be looking for equipment.

If you're able to post photos of all the kit on here, folks will be able to identify it and suggest ballpark prices.

First and second, not too sure (I think the first one is used to separate the queen from the bees the second, the picture just doesn't tell me enough.
Third and fourth is a honey ripener - galvanised and rusty so no real use to produce honey but some people buy them as ornaments.
The last one is a Nucleus hive by EH Taylor - much sought after by collectors)
The inside usually has a detatchable mesh 'roof' with a handle on (crown board before you forumites begin picking) sure someone else will be along with a better description. Seen them go for £30.00 plus in auctions.

Thanks Jenkins, that helps a lot I've also emailed Manchester and District BKA to see if they can clarify the other bits :)

I think the item in the second picture is the thingy ( tech term there) used to exhibit a frame of honey in a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think the item in the second picture is the thingy ( tech term there) used to exhibit a frame of honey in a show.
:iagree:

I think the top picture is a "swarm preventer" of some sort, I can't remember what the right name is though. The box goes in front of the entrance when a colony is likely to swarm, and prevents the queen from leaving. It almost belongs in a museum.

:iagree:

I think the top picture is a "swarm preventer" of some sort, I can't remember what the right name is though. The box goes in front of the entrance when a colony is likely to swarm, and prevents the queen from leaving. It almost belongs in a museum.

:yeahthat: Swarm preventer is a good call, and yes, a museum piece.

Honey frame display case for showing did come to my mind - is the piece in front of the glass panelled bit actually the lid? if so, then yes, and depending how well it cleans up may be worth a pound or two (20 odd quid a piece new) it will have to be presentable enough to use for showing though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Looks a bit too battered and bee worn to me to be that ... see through crown board for a Nuc ?

The bit of timber in front may be a solid lid for the swarm preventer, queen excluder thingy ?

Thing in first picture is a queen and drone trap I think ... not sure why you would want to trap the queen and the drones though ? Any ideas ?

http://www.goldenbreeze.net/web_beekeeping/sys/dat/00593712.pdf

Perhaps the glass bit is a see through lid for it ... the solid board closes off the bee escapes ? Sort of early observation box for a queen and drones ???

But I'm no expert ...

Link revised ... it's a swarm preventer - the words after the pictures on the new link tell the story !!

Last edited:
i would clean them up and stick them on ebay, and let real customers decide

Thanks guys, I did think the glass thingy was for viewing/showing as the comb thing (lol) slides in and there is a bit of wood that slides along the top keeping it all in. I've found the top piece for the what I thought was a little hive, last pic, that screws on top it's like a grate to keep them in there. I will clean it all up and pop it on ebay now I have a better idea of what it is.

Latest posts

Back