Equipment Records

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
I looked in the shed today, realised I need to get on and make some stuff and also realised the next eight weeks are not an option due to a shoulder op in the morning.

I then got round to wondering how does anyone else keep on top of their equipment requirements and what sort of record keeping do they use, do they use pen and paper or full blown database?

I was also wondering how many supers per hive does anyone work with and how many nucs or spare hives would you have if you managed say ten hives? I sort of have a 3yr plan to work up to a max of ten colonies and then review it from there.

Good luck with the op, am also in the same boat, it's all part of the learning curve, some of the others may have some systems in place.

first year to, as far as record keeping went this year, a peice of card in the top of each hive with a list of date of each inspection date on, a tick if everything was ok and notes like eggs seens or queen seen etc...

beyond that nothing. I want to revise that this year and do a little more because I also want more hives. So with more hives comes a little bit more organisation.

As far as long term plan, who knows. watch the avatar on the left.

BB

Polyhive always recommends 4 supers per hive but 3 min. are probably needed.
I just keep all my invoices in a folder.

Hive inspection records are another thing.

I tried keeping my records on top of the crown board in the hive- they got nibbled!! Dont ask how :redface:

I write on the roof with an indelible pen.
Not my idea but a tip from a beefarmer on the forum.

I just use a spreadsheet. one sheet for spares and one sheet per hive, including a table of their current configuration.

I have been using 14x12 and national to try and find out works best for me and my bees. I am also throwing together a couple TBH's to add to the complexity!

As I often don't do them all in the same day (different locations), a plan beforehand, notes during and recording after is the only way I could manage it...

I don't record equipment at all. I just look at the stack of spares, and start to worry if it is getting too small! I've made a lot of cheap ply supers, so have about 4 per hive.

My ambitious plan was to keep every invoice, every receipt, every little scrap about what I've spent on the bees, to off-set it against money made from honey sales.

Right now, I'm trailing paper every where and the plan has remained just that - an ambitious plan.

Who has time for all that!?!?!

Hive record cards are another thing - I keep 'em in a file, and I've found them incredibly useful, not just from a visit-to-visit sort of basis, but looking at all the visits in a season, gives me an overview of things that really helps to give a proper perspective on things to do going forward.

as for costings, I keep virtually no receipts unless I think I might need the warranty and I record everything spend on google docs so I dont lose it if the 'puter breaks

Hi Nonstandard
I keep equipment invoices in a file, no records of equipment except in my head. Around 4 supers per hive.
I use a 5 year Gardeners Diary for records and my queen marking pen to write on the hive roof as a reminder.
Good luck with your shoulder.
Cazza

I have a cheap BBQ steak branding iron and burn my name "geoffrye" on everything ,including the top bars of frames, I then code everything code S1 ,S2 etc for supers and JB1 ,JB2 etc for 14x12s and SB1, SB2 etc for standard brood, EKE AP for apiguard Ekes and Eke JUMBO for 14x12 converter ekes MILL & ASHW for feeders etc etc ,on frames i only code specials like Drone Culling frames

Why, well when you have then all stacked up i can see whats in the stack and what i need to take with me in ,

Why also burn my name, well i share an association apairy as well as one with my cousin and thing just get "used" and one cedar brood box looks like any other unless it has your name on it

as i have a mix of floors by different manufacturers i also code the entrance blocks to the correct floor, as it is sod's law that the block you pick up doesnt fit the floor you want to fit it in when it raining, getting dark, or blowing a gale and the correct bit is in my shed 4 miles away

Last edited:
I'm not quite as organised as MM but all my OMFs are home made and entrance blocks varroa trays and varroa tray blocks are all numbered as one size definately does NOT fit all:D.

I do an annual inventory of all my kit occupied and spare including frames and foundation just after the New Year. I then TRY and work out what I am going to need for the season and get an order in early.

As a cure for bee withdrawal symptoms and winter cabin fever I make as much kit as I can during the winter - currently converting Nat Broods to 14 x 12 - note to self add 14 x 12 frames and foundation to shopping list;)

after many many years faffing about with bits of wood that dont fit i have a single set of plans which i have laminated and i only ever build/cut/make/butcher my bits to fit those drawings.

its great for me but unless you have your own drawings my gear never fits anyone elses

I don't keep an inventory, although I number my brood boxes and supers.

I foster the habit of making up "colony kits":- a floor, entrance block, QX, and crown board, all packed inside an upturned roof. If you want one, you will want them all.

Other than that, I maintain a simple journal of purchases and sales (of honey, etc) to monitor the cost of my hobby.

Savoyard

Being a engineer I use spreadsheets for just about everything whether appropriate or not.

I attach a PDF of my equipment records because the forum does not seem to support .xls files.

You can see what my records of equipment are and costs to date too. They costs are not to the penny and I only started last year. So far 2 kgs of honey has cost me over £800 but I am not in it for the money. If the hobby raises any money at all it is better than all of my other hobbies!

This is based on 2 supers per hive and if I need more than this I will be completely delighted.

Latest posts

Back