Equipment for the new beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Thank to everyone's help on this forum. I have almost finished my first equipment list. So hear goes.

1 Bee Brush . I think it will come in handy
1 manipulation Cloth. not sure why
2 10 frame Entrance reducers.
1 10 inch Hive tool .
100 5 5/8 crimp wire small cell wax foundation. I am looking for all wax no wire? I am going to visit the Fat/Beeman he should have what I am looking for.
108 6 1/4 Grooved top and bottom frames.
1 Pro stainless steel Smoke engine w/shield and finger shield cone top.
12 6 5/8 Commercial Cypress supers . I am going with ten frame only because you can get more stuff made for the ten frame then you can for the eight frame.
2 Bottom Boards Cypress Commercial
1 Frame perch. don't know why
2 Migratory covers Help keep the hive cool all wood no metal
2 Vertical Slatted Racks. Help keep the hive cooler less work for the bees so they can make more honey. Also might help with swarming.

I am still up in the air on what type of bees and were to buy them. I will be going with nucs for my first year.

So what do you all think? any equipment out of line? Do I have to much or not enough?

Please let me know

Brooklyn

You might also find a protective bee suit and gloves (and boots) handy!

Don't know if varoa is prevalent where you are. If so, you might consider mesh floors. And feeders?

But enough from this new boy. The experts wil doubtless have much more to say.

I find a bee brush useful from time to time, but always ensure it is clean. I put mine in the dishwasher after use.

I've never used a manipulation cloth, but it's one of these things that some people can't get by without but the vast majority don't use. I would go with what people use locally to you - you may have lots of wasps and robber bee problems.

If a frame perch is a thing to stand a frame on after you have removed it then this is probably a bit of a luxury. Most people just lean the frame up against the hive.

I see it looks as if you are going to run the bees on Medium frames throughout - good on you, I've just converted one of my colonies this year and plan to do the rest next year.

I don't see any queen excluders. A very few people get away without them, especially in poly hives but I would suggest use them to begin with - almost everyone does and there will be times when you will want to confine the queen, for example during queen rearing.

Slatted racks are all but unknown in this country - I think you only need them if you get very cold winters and springs, but I'm no expert on them. Again, go with what local beekeepers use.

Think also of feeders as the DD suggests. You can get 3/4 frame feeders but like all frame feeders you have to open up the hive to re-fill them. Consider a full width feeder which sits on top of the hive. A plastic one if you can get it will be waterproof and long lasting.

I wouldn't use solid floors but again see what the locals use. If you are in the US you will have varroa and a mesh floor is good for checking mite populations and efficiency of treatments.

Migratory covers are fine for just that, moving the bees.

As for type of bee I would recommend again find out what people are using locally. If this is not possible as they are all a mixture then it is probably a question of just supply and price which will determine your choice.

You probably have a wider choice of type of bee in the US than we have here in the UK, though I am not sure that is a good thing.

Finally, add a few books to your list and start reading!

As a newbie myself id add a good magnifying glass for those inspections when you cant see a darn thing lol
and also ive got a cooker igniter to lite my smoker

I use a chef's blowtorch (for brulee-ing creme brulee) to light my smoker. It is a little fierce, but very effective!

Latest posts

Back