Epipen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
got one on 'script from mt GP today. He said he's never been asked for one by a beekeeper before, but recognised that it was a good idea to carry one when working with bees. He also said he'd bring this matter up at the next 'prescription issues meeting' of the local primary care group.

that seems crazy, if you have no history of issues why waste money on what prob will never happen? docs should not just given that out without good cause

are you sure you are not missing something like you are at high risk for other medical reasons?

JD

I asked for one a year ago and was told to bugger off.

that seems crazy, if you have no history of issues why waste money on what prob will never happen? docs should not just given that out without good cause

are you sure you are not missing something like you are at high risk for other medical reasons?

JD
In the case of established beekeepers who aren't sensitised to bee venom, something obviously goes wrong (maybe a change in medication?, ibuprofen has been suggested, has removed the beekeepers immunity ).
As regards cost , you can always ask for a private perscription , spread out over a year the cost is negligible .
I've paid car insurance for 50+ years and never made a claim, I suppose that was a waste of money . Back to the epipen, this saves lives, insurance only recompenses material losses ..

John Wilkinson

Sorry Victor but I don’t subscribe the 'don’t walk out the door' without a brolly approach to life. The original post suggests the doc simple dished the stuff out - as someone who ended up in A&E last year from just a single sting I do have some experience of the worries.

TB also manages 2 hives so is clearly getting his fair share of stings already.

If its not for him and for others I would be even more worried about dishing the stuff out.

hay ho, ppl do what they do

grizzly, I mentioned it too when I was in A&E with my lip sting and they just smiled and said 'no no no' - they explained that there is a world of difference between swelling/pain and needing Epipen, in fact they put me on Hayleve to take swelling down

Last edited:
I would cheerfully go out less brolly .
I wouldn't however go rock climbing without a hard hat ?.
As regards other people , I'll bet the recent casualties wouldn't have minded sticking an epipen into their thigh as it were! . Once dead, you are dead ,truly 'end of'..
To rationalise , Adrenaline helps stabalise the victim (although not recommended for heart patients for instance)it is still the lesser of two evils in a life or death situation !
I don't believe in mass medication either but a little cheap assurance can only be a good thing as we beekeepers (the brave and the timid) do put ourselves at an infinitely greater risk than Johnny Public.
The number of stings one has received in the past has little bearing on future reactions ( local ones yes) but anaphilaxis comes out of the blue!

John Wilkinson

I have an Epipen. It was prescribed when I went into anaphylaxis after I had about 200 stings in one go. It has to be kept in the fridge and the GP warned that I was only to use it if I did have such a strong reaction that my airways were closing and made clear I was not to use it on anyone else. Apparently there are risks associated with its use and if I stab someone in the leg and do them more harm, I would be liable.

Having suffered both, I think there is a big difference between being badly stung and and having the potentially life threatening anaphylaxis... with the later I was covered in a red rash - very red, not like a bee sting - around my joints, not just where I was stung either, my eyes swelled so I could hardly open them and my ears swelled to my ear canals closed and I couldn't hear properly, then my mouth, tongue and windpipe started to close and I went into shock...shivering. Apparently since it has happened once it might happen again and it didn't happen immediately, so I keep the pen at home in case it happens. If I saw the first symptom hives (red rash) at the apiary I would dial 999 or get someone to drive me or the victim straight to the hospital 10 minutes away. The treatment for the anaphylaxis wasn't nice either, so I now try to avoid getting stung so much.

It would be a right pain taking it out to the apiary in a cold bag every time I looked at the bees. I wouldn't really advise people to get one unless they really need it.

I 'appear' to be ok with stings, the girls kindly provided me with a recent 'check-up' a couple of weeks back, about 8 or so got through. I would still put an epipen in my tool kit (fridge between outings) if I were permitted one (Local GP declined). I have a high number of interested / curious friends and family who want to use my spare suit to come and see. If I became sensitised I would want to be able to self treat, if I saw a friend reacting badly I would want the option. That assumes a level of judgement and symptom analysis is present in the pen owner. R

I am not so sure that an Epipen actually does any good.
They are such a very low dose that I am not sure it would touch the sides if you had a full blown reaction with a closing airway.

The last case I know of that the guy had an Epipen in his box was not enough,his wife gave him the shot but to no avail.

I have been involved in dozens of cases of anaphalaxis and you need a little more adrenaline that what the epipen offers for acute cases,you need to get to the hospital to get much larger doses and fast.

I am sure the makers of Epipen would argue though..

*Although I would never want anyone being put off asking their GP for one.

*(A little disclaimer there).

It would be a right pain taking it out to the apiary in a cold bag every time I looked at the bees. I wouldn't really advise people to get one unless they really need it.

According to the manufacturer it needs to be protected from sunlight and extremes of temperature,nothing about carrying it around in a cold bag all the time.

It is supplied as a spring-loaded syringe that can be easily transported with you everywhere you go.

http://www.epipen.com/page/epipen--epipen-jr--storage--transport--allergic-reactions--anaphylaxis

http://www.alk-lifeline.co.uk/pages/home.aspx

correct hive maker. I have one to hand in my line of work. Not in the fridge, in a lockable medicine cabnet, at NHS room temp!

I went to read the label... doesn't need to be in the fridge at all! just needs to be kept below 25C. I've put it in my bee bag now...just in case I drop another box of bees on me.

Latest posts

Back