Enzymes in Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I have read somewhere that enzymes are present in honey.

Can anyone tell me what effects on the honey the enzymes have?

Thanks

Regards

One function is to convert compound sugars to simple sugars. I think it's called invertase?

Thanks for the input Chris.
Invertase is produced by the worker and I think is added to the nectar on the flight back to the hive.

I'll wait until members come up with info before I start to delve into the answers.
Hopefully I won't have too.

Regards;

Hi BC,
I read that that honey contains nearly every known nutrient required for a balanced human diet: 22 amino acids, 27 minerals most of the known vitamins, and many enzymes and proteins including active diastase at between 4 ? 7% activity.* It only lacks roughage and water for a totally complete and balanced human nutrition. The diastase enzyme, is basically a remnant of the honey-making procedure by the bees. Diastase is provided by the bees that use the enzyme to convert the nectar to honey, just as Chris said.

Hombre

Hi Hombre,

Apologies for not getting back sooner than this regarding the enzymes.

Diastase is provided by the bees that use the enzyme to convert the nectar to honey

I think that the enzyme Invertase is produced by the hypopharyngeal glands of workers and this is added to nectar to reduce compound sugars to simple sugars. As Chris mentioned.
The enzyme Diastase is only found in honey the bees do nor secrete this in any way. Enzyme activity of Diastase is reduced in honey by heating or long term storage.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back