Environmental health visit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just registered with my local council for trading of honey. The environmental health officer wants to visit to give my kitchen the once over? Has anyone any ideas what questions they ask?

Sorry critter but you've got problems!

Just leave it "as is" and wait for them to tell you what you have to do for compliance.

commonsense doesn't come into it!

Do0 let us know what happens

richard

I have just registered with my local council for trading of honey. The environmental health officer wants to visit to give my kitchen the once over? Has anyone any ideas what questions they ask?

It's not compulsory to register is it?

Jack

No, it's not!

Maybe he want's to sell through a retail outlet/shop that insists on it.

She can just be sensible about the whole visit - clean, tidy show protective clothing used (overalls, hat) formulate a cleaning routine hand washing facilities keep pets out of the way etc. Most of it is common sense. But they do like to 'find something wrong'. Whenever we get DEFRA visits to the kennels our huntsman gets everything top line and then purposefully leaves something glaringly but not particularly important wrong (they're so pleased to find a black mark they ease off a bit then :) )

Fridge and freezer doors, grubby corners

Bathroom separated from kitchen by two doors.

Separate hand-basin and towel from kitchen sink.

How you will proceed with your workflow (write it down before he arrives)

Storage, get new aprons, clean tea towels etc etc

No need for stress, they will advise you as to what they want from you.

Honey is a low risk foodstuff. (from our own EH)

If you knew the state of some hotels and restaurants and pubs who are allowed to continue after inspections, you'd never eat out again! We don't!!!

Thanks everyone. I am not really worried. My understanding is that if you sell any food to the public you now need to register with the council. Its a pretty new law. I wasn't expecting a visit, but am not unduly worried. I would rather instigate an inspection than sell honey and get inspected. I also want to sell quince jelly in a largish volume. I think it's good practice to be able to show your customers that your premises are hygienic, it may even sell more ;)
Jacqui

dont worry about it they are there to help, they will suggest things to do, and things you need.

I work closely with EHOs. Listen to what they have to say and be pleasant even if you have to bite your lip. Try and keep your empty clean jars in a hygienic place, dont have your production near any raw food. Look organised and if you can demonstrate some kind of batch code they will like that. Have paper work ready to show things like you have purchased your jars, lids etc from a reputable company. They will most likely ask you to demonstrate your processing procedure, I dont mean you will have to bottle up honey in front of the person but just go through what you do from start to finish. You will be fine.

Thanks everyone. I am not really worried. My understanding is that if you sell any food to the public you now need to register with the council. Its a pretty new law. I wasn't expecting a visit, but am not unduly worried. I would rather instigate an inspection than sell honey and get inspected. I also want to sell quince jelly in a largish volume. I think it's good practice to be able to show your customers that your premises are hygienic, it may even sell more ;)
Jacqui

Not sure this is right. There is a derogation for honey production on number of days a season you extract.

You might consider taking a Food Hygiene Course - the certificate counts for a lot. Show evidence of having considered HACCP hazard analysis and critical control points. Preparation and cleanliness. Clothing. Sterilisation of food grade equipment. Suitable and separate washing. Scrupulously clean processing. Honey production and labelling regs. Production records. Samples of honey can be taken.

As I understand the situation, there is currently no requirement for registration by the way, unless you're into a significant commercial operation.

You might consider taking a Food Hygiene Course - the certificate counts for a lot. Show evidence of having considered HACCP hazard analysis and critical control points. Preparation and cleanliness. Clothing. Sterilisation of food grade equipment. Suitable and separate washing. Scrupulously clean processing. Honey production and labelling regs. Production records. Samples of honey can be taken.

As I understand the situation, there is currently no requirement for registration by the way, unless you're into a significant commercial operation.

Food hygiene course would be good and it is a multiple choice 20 question exam(or it used to be). Forgot to suggest cleaning records and method of cleaning

I will clarify the situation on the visit with the EHO and get back to you. I thought the same about not having to register until I watched a very interesting programme on the subject of food sales to the public a couple of months a go. It did not mention that honey was exempt from needing to be registered. I also had a lady from the local WI give me a right grilling on hygiene certificates. I just want people to be reassured that the food they are purchasing comes from a clean environment. Will get back when I have the answer. Jacqui

Esp the hygine course as it demos you take health of your consumers seriously.

Batch code in place.

Weights... over weight is as bad as underweight so you need scales and possibly stamped weights too to do sample checking.

PH

Weights... over weight is as bad as underweight so you need scales and possibly stamped weights too to do sample checking.

This is environmental Health (EH), not weights and measures (Trading Standards). EH could not care a jot on that sort of thing. Demonstrating good records is one thing for traceability, but weights? - nothing to do with them.

You could be using the honey for other purposes than selling by weight. EH is all about bugs (microbes) and contamination, not labels and weights.

Quite right Rab I was thinking of general officialdom officiousness.

PH

Weights... over weight is as bad as underweight
PH

More so when your jars are over weight and you get a customer who complains about it...............True fact that Louise (my wife) had at our local market where she sells her jams and chutnies...............

I sold honey to a couple of shops last year.A few weeks later i recieved 2 letters to register as a food establishment,one of these letters explained that if i was to sell any honey this year without sending them the registration form they would take me to court,yet i know people in other areas who sell honey without registering with trading standards and get no comebacks.

Latest posts

Back