• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Entrance Disks??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz Fella

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have 5 entrance disks, ideal for nuc boxes etc. About 2 1/2 inch diameter, with an oval hole, a QE sized slot, a ventilated hole , as options. Pretty colours.
But ...
I need some more. These were a souvenir from a trip abroad, and I can't find any listed in "the usual UK dealers".
Anybody any ideas??

If it was France, have you tried Maisemore ? I think I have seen some there but they're not in the catalogue.

edit : I've just noticed Thornes do disc entrances 190mm in dia. seem a bit bigger than yours.

> Disc Entrance
An adjustable circular disc that can be used as an alternative to the traditional floor entrance. Often used in the USA as an upper entrance in a large hive. It has four settings, closed, completely open, and closed with ventilator or queen excluder segment that can be used as a swarm control measure. 190mm in diameter with 6mm fixing hole. <

85p +vat &pp.

Last edited:
, and I can't find any listed in "the usual UK dealers".
Anybody any ideas??

C- "must try harder"

82p each

hhard9.jpg

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin...ge&THISPAGE=page10043.html&ORDER_ID=287906994

'Fraid not - I have some of the blue Thorne's ones ... too 'uge for my needs ... these are more than twice the diameter i am after

Are you after the ones like Betterbee in the States sell on their Nucs?

Do you have a link for them admin. I too would like a smaller entrance to the ones I bought from Thornes. Ta

No - the ones I want/have are even smaller [by the look of them]. I'll take and post a photo over the next day or so.

Stamfordham used to sell them... but they have sold out (and seem to sell next to bugger all now!)

Stamfordham was going to be my suggestion,like you say they seem to of run out of many items.
I have emailed them to see if its only a temporary stock problem.
They do say on their website that much of the stock is from Eastern europe and with the exchange rate of the Euro they are cutting back the lines sold.

Hi there!

Went round this loop myself a few months ago looking for entrances for the nuc boxes which I make.

As someone said, Stamfordham used to sell them, but when I rang them, they said try again in the Autumn - not very helpful - so they may or may not have some then.

Other than that, I could not find any other supplier of the smaller size ones in UK, Europe or further afield.

So ... approached a plastic injection moulding place - unfortunately they wanted £990 for the mould before they had made any discs - so that was a non-starter.

Have now bought myself some 3mm thick plastic and when there is an offer on at my favourite toolshop, I will be buying a milling machine and knocking them out myself. Could post on the forum once I am up and running if anyone is interested.

WoodBee.

Does anyone know someone who has a homemade cnc machine ?
A dremal cnc could handle plastic that size.

Photo of the small disk entrance I have and want more of!
It is 80mm diameter

They really are ideal for nucs. Come in a range of colours , as well.

That looks the biz!
Next problem is ordering off a Polish website with no knowledge of the language!
I think I shall have to find an appropriate third party! Any suggestions? Anyone know of Polish links between any UK dealers and this firm?
Well done for tracking this one down, folks. Thanks.

Stamfordham was going to be my suggestion,like you say they seem to of run out of many items.
I have emailed them to see if its only a temporary stock problem.
They do say on their website that much of the stock is from Eastern europe and with the exchange rate of the Euro they are cutting back the lines sold.

Just had an email from Stamfordham saying that these are back in stock if anybody still wants some- 50mm (45 pence) and 80mm (85 pence) plus £1 for postage.

I can't see the entrance on the side being a problem, it's no different to the 'warm way'/ 'cold way' arrangement on a full size hive.
Si.

Latest posts

Back