Entrance blocks and mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I have previously put a palisade of frame nails 9mm apart in my entrance blocks to act as mouse guards but the newer blocks from T*****s have an entrance that is only 7mm high, will these alone be able to keep mice out?

I have previously put a palisade of frame nails 9mm apart in my entrance blocks to act as mouse guards but the newer blocks from T*****s have an entrance that is only 7mm high, will these alone be able to keep mice out?
7mm should be possible they can get anywhere the skull can, the rest of the body flattens. The holes as I recall are 8mm, harder to get through a round hole than a slot.

A sage on the forum recently advised that if a Biro can be inserted then a mouse can get in by dislocating its jaw

A **** on the forum recently advised that if a Biro can be inserted then a mouse can get in by dislocating its jaw

That is almost true for a clear plastic Bic biro and a round hole. But mis-states the dislocating bit.

A slot as indicated by the OP (not a round hole) needs to be smaller (lower), because Mickey can dislocate his jaw (sideways) to get through a wide slot, even one that a 'biro' cannot penetrate.
However, my understanding is that the new low entrance slots from Thorne are indeed low enough to keep out a British Standard mouse. I am trusting my own new low Thorne ones without an addiitional guard this winter.

I have acquired some commercial mouse guards. As I have them I am going to use them instead of the nails in the entrance blocks. Should I remove the entrance block totally or use the entrance block with a say 3inch opening making sure the hole in the mouse guard line up with the entrance block?

If memory serves me correctly 3/8ths of an inch is a good size slot for entrance blocks, sometimes mice will gnaw a bit at these and gain entry, but not very often.

The bees will still need space to remove dead bees and other debris. I like to remove the entrance block altogether and fit a full width mouseguard.

That is almost true for a clear plastic Bic biro and a round hole. But mis-states the dislocating bit.

A slot as indicated by the OP (not a round hole) needs to be smaller (lower), because Mickey can dislocate his jaw (sideways) to get through a wide slot, even one that a 'biro' cannot penetrate.
However, my understanding is that the new low entrance slots from Thorne are indeed low enough to keep out a British Standard mouse. I am trusting my own new low Thorne ones without an addiitional guard this winter.

Don't suppose they read the :rules: books either??

Strangely enough , my TBHs have an entrance hole large enough for two mice abreast (!), we have lots of field mice (fields next door and woods and they eat my tomatoes if they can) , but so far - touch wood - not seen any evidence of mice in hives in four winters.. Never used any guards.

I have seen a mouse under the hives eating dead bees...

A Mont Blanc is too large.

I don't know, the limited edition 'Chopin' is fairly slim, but if it's a Meisterstuck, I agree - If you have one of them it's obvious your consultancy fees are too large as well!(maybe I should have made a career chasing ambulances not smugglers :D)

However, my understanding is that the new low entrance slots from Thorne are indeed low enough to keep out a British Standard mouse.

But whar about Langstroth meeces or heavens forbid Warre?

Latest posts

Back