entrance block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone leave an entrance block in all year? and if so are their any benefits.I spoke to 2 beeks one said block in al year the other said remove until autumn

Yep - thats about right! Some do, some don't!

I have been advised to leave on if the colony is small or there is a risk of robbing from other bees or wasps etc (the latter more likely later in summer). If it is really hot and the bee's are "hanging" off the front of the hive I have removed it but at the mo' mine are insitu as they are building up their numbers.

Floss

Leave it in all year.

Its easier for them to defend the hive.

I have noticed no difference in the amount of honey they collect.

p.s. I've seen videos of massive feral hives with a very small hole entrance

And just to "keep the pottie biling"

I never use them at all.

If you are on open floors then it will make no odds but on solid floors that is quite another matter as how are they to dry the nectar?

PH

And just to "keep the pottie biling"

I never use them at all.

If you are on open floors then it will make no odds but on solid floors that is quite another matter as how are they to dry the nectar?

PH

Well now I use poly its just a mouse proof slot that you just leave alone, as you know PH. ;)

You can close it down though if you want. I don't.

Might be getting more involved in the retail of poly... watch my blog...

PH

I usually leave mine slid down the side of the floor at right angles with about 1" sticking out at the front at this time of year.....just so I know where to find them when I need them!

An entrance block is too restrictive for peak bee population. I remove mine in early spring and replace when wasps and robbing become a problem later in the season.

I left mine in all year last year, this year I have had to leave them out on two hives they are now on 4 supers and still lots of bees hanging around the entrance waiting to get in.

TBHers might have an input here. 3x25mm holes enough?

22mm by 420mm is far more than enough for any colony. I often simply used the floor with the small lip upper-most; Dartingtons have an 8mm slot and it might, or might not, be full width all year round, (unless potential robbing is an issue).

Look at the recommendations for bait hives - 25 x 50mm? That would be what the bees would choose? No rocket science, just a few observations and a little common sense is all that is needed.

I have likely lost most of the original entrance blocks and simply use lengths of 20mm-ish planed-to-fit square strips, or perhaps a narrow frame foundation-clamping bar, or whatever might be at hand and do the job. I usually have a length of planed strip in the garage and cut off an appropriate length as required.

So the only issue might be if it is just too small for the size of the colony or too big to protect from robbers. Winter is not an issue (especially with OMFs!) except for keeping out the mice, etc.

Regards, RAB

Back