entrance block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightshade

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Daft question but how do I get my entrance block to stay in place?. I put it in...it's crooked ...then to far in...

What am I missing?

And an eye screw on the front to help pull it out and push it in
E

Ah...excellent!!..it's all the wee tips that help...when scrabbling around for something appropriate to cover the hole in the Crown board my bee man suggested a couple of bits of slate..I've now found a use for the broken bits hidden in the veg patch!

Yep, screws behind to stop it being pushed too far in. I also have smaller entrance cut on one side on each block. I just flip the block 90° and have a restricted entrance.

No two beekeepers are the same.

Cheers all...tonight's project includes more nails and screws!!

My husband is despairing! !..it usually ends up in a 'give me that' when he sees me surrounded by inappropriate tools sheets of Kings pan and trying to saw things on the kitchen table!!

The only disadvantage of an underfloor entrance I have found is that you have to bung it up while vaping

The only disadvantage of an underfloor entrance I have found is that you have to bung it up while vaping

Its easy Erica just get a bit of wood of the right dimensions to fit in the gap nice and snug, don't push it all the way in though as you will squash bees.

Block of wood or a piece of foam, I was going to give it a try without, anyone tried that?
I have vaped with them open when i forgot my piece of wood to block the entrance, no vaper came out the entrance at all, the bees where flying well though so it maybe a different story if the hive is full of bees fanning the gas towards the entrance.

Aye???..and what's an underfloor entrance when it's at home?

The floor is constructed with a porch area that the bees enter and then climb vertically up into the hive through an 8mm full width gap. They are great to deter wasps and mice but do not restrict bee traffic.

Block of wood or a piece of foam, I was going to give it a try without, anyone tried that?

Yes. Which is why I posted about the UFE
The standard entrances are all reduced now and hardly any sublimate issues. The bees come and go oblivious though in some boxes they beard a bit while the power is on.
The UFE boxes do lose quite a lot from the front.
I got fed up vaping into the darkness so tried it while bees were flying

Latest posts

Back