Enticing a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr greenwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks, had a swarm this afternoon, landed on a chicken wire fence nice and handy so I suspended a brood box with frames in over the one side. You would think it would be obvious what they should do but they are just staying clustered and not going up into the box. Can't shake them off as they are both sides of the wire. Any tips out there how to encourage occupation.

Brush off one side at a time in to skep / box then drop in brood box? Or securely fix skep / cardboard box open side down above them with a smear of honey (preferably from a known source) in the top to start them moving up - it will need to be touching the wire so they can walk up.

Thanks for the advise, I have just put some honey on the top of the frames. There was a branch of them in but the rest had tucked up in a rainproof ball for the night. Try again tomorrow.

Twang the wire to drop the majority and (hopefully) the queen into the BB, assuming you do have a floor on it??

Put it on the floor as near as you can with a roof and leave. They will with luck take it over.

PH

And dont forget, you only need to get the queen in the box - once she is in the rest will follow.

And dont forget, you only need to get the queen in the box - once she is in the rest will follow.

Usually, and virtually always under normal circumstances. But there are exceptions and this may be one - quote: the rest had tucked up in a rainproof ball for the night.

Local conditions need to be taken into account, at all times.

Thanks for the replies. Finally got them walking in. Had to get a bit rough - two frames worth already in, scooped up around two thirds and dumped them in, jar of honey( my own ) in the top in a tray . Must've got the queen in as fanning at the entrance and gave the rest a good smoking to get them walking up a ramp. If Anyones undertaking a breeding program any chance of concentrating on obedience/intelligence or ability to read the book, the bees that is not male beekeepers.

Well done - here's hoping they repay your efforts!

Rich

Latest posts

Back