Enough Stored for Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I have a hive with a swarm from earlier in the year. They have little in the way of stores in the BB but have 8 full frames of honey in a super above the BB.

I was thinking of leaving this on over the winter - obviously removing the QE. Will this be enough to get them through? I can add fondant as well.

Thanks

Somewhere around 16/17lbs one would expect so at least 18lbs short on stores esp for Scotland I would say, though it is early yet. The ivy if they find it may increase stores if plentiful forage wise, they could double the stores.
A gallon /8 pints of strong syrup will equate approx. to 10lbs of stores, if going to feed fondant then don't mess about just plonk a whole 12.5kg block directly on top of the bars ( with slits cut in to the plastic) and insulate well above.

Personally, I would nick their honey and sell it and then feed them enough to fill about 8 frames in their BB.

To answer your question though, 8 super frames is about 16 to 20lbs of honey whereas you will need between 30 to 40lbs to winter them, depending on size of colony, weather etc. So yes, you will have to feed them to increase stores to the required amount.

We leave a super of stores above the brood box but they are taking syrup at an incredible rate, filling morning and night, im glad because even with the stores they are a little lighter than last year at this time, hopefully with the ivy flow that with boost the weight as well

We leave a super of stores above the brood box but they are taking syrup at an incredible rate, filling morning and night, im glad because even with the stores they are a little lighter than last year at this time, hopefully with the ivy flow that with boost the weight as well
Thanks

Latest posts

Back